You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-25 23:06:37

dronemium

Thinkpad x201 runs "hesistantly" sometimes

This is my second time installing archlinux, the first time I was runing arch+awesome and it was a very pleasant experience. 

I then went to Mint for awhile last month because my worked wanted to try something on it (that was after the /bin/ merge with /sbin) and now I'm back onto arch + awesome again.

This time, with arch x64 and awesome, I noticed some things are a bit different.  Take for example, when I open up firefox, and I write a lengthy email and I wish to click on a text in the middle to fix an error, I click, nothing happens, then finally after 4 seconds I see the blinking cursor.

With the terminal (I'm running the urxvt-unicode-patched found in aur), when ever I exit it, sometimes it hangs and just shows a black box with none of the "user@hostname", just a black box and after some time it disappears.

With awesome manager, when I try to switch to different tags/workspaces by cycling wiht my hotkeys, there is a stall too.

Then my favourite part of arch is that, I'm so used to having it shutdown immediately.  Like, with my last archlinux+awesome set up, I just binded the keys "ctrl+esc" to do "systemctl poweroff" and it does so without any problems and the shutdown is done in 3 seconds (love, love LOVE it).  Now, when I do, the screen goes black, and it kind of hangs at a black screen with a _ cursor blinking at the top left, after 40 seconds it shuts down.

I did notice something different when I boot this time, it says "kvm" disabled by kernel this time around.  Perhaps that plays a role?

Any help will appreciated, thanks in advance.

#2 2013-06-26 17:22:33

SolarBoyMatt

Re: Thinkpad x201 runs "hesistantly" sometimes

About the KVM message, are you sure that's what it said? "KVM disabled by BIOS" is the only one I've heard of and experienced, and that is fixed by enabling VT-x (intel)/AMD_V (AMD) extensions in your BIOS settings. It shouldn't cause any problems unless you're trying to use KVM.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KVM

However, your other issues, you need to be a bit more specific and maybe focus on one issue at a time, since laundry lists like these can lead to unfocused threads.

Last edited by SolarBoyMatt (2013-06-26 17:28:18)

Board footer