You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-29 19:53:12

LB06

Shorewall

http://www.shorewall.net

It would be nice if this package could be included. It's really very easy to set up a packet filter and a ICS-gateway like this. I want to give Arch a try, but I have to be sure ICS can be set up flawlessly without having to learn how to write IPtables scripts.

#2 2004-03-03 05:12:20

cmhood

Re: Shorewall

I'm planning to upgrade a few RH7.3 systems that use ShoreWall to ArchLinux.  Since no one has posted any instructions, I tried it myself and thought I'd share the results.  This is what I did to make it work on a 2.6 Kernel system.

-- download "shorewall-1.4.10c.tgz" into your "/usr/local/src" directory

-- while in the "/usr/local/src" directory unpack using the command "tar -zxf shorewall-1.4.10c.tgz"

-- cd into the "/usr/local/src/shorewall-1.4.10c" directory

-- the install command is "./install.sh /etc/rc.d"  (need to tell shorewall where the init scripts are.)  The install command will report an error that it cannot configure for automatic start.

-- download the examples files (In my install I used the "two-interfaces.tgz" file) and copy the files into the "/etc/shorewall directory"

-- You will need the iproute and iptables packages (use pacman to install)

-- edit the "/etc/services" file to add the following:
    ftp-data    20/tcp
    ftp-data    20/udp
    ssh        22/tcp
    ssh        22/udp
  <OR>
    Remove the ftp-data & ssh entries from the "/etc/shorewall/tos" file

-- make the directory "/var/lock/subsys/shorewall"

-- edit the "/etc/shorewall/rules" and "/etc/shorewall/interfaces" files to match your system

-- add "shorewall" to the "/etc/rc.conf" file in the "DAEMONS" string

-- delete the "/etc/shorewall/startup_disabled" file

A few steps to make it work but not to bad. (Easier than getting a sound card to work.)  I have not fully tested it but I doubt there will be any problems.

#3 2004-10-28 10:54:40

BlueRaven

Re: Shorewall

Hi there, I just wish to inform that I'm currently packaging Shorewall (2.0.10 is the current version as I'm writing).
I expect it to be ready in a few days, just as when I have squashed some nasty bugs and reported some needed corrections in the bug tracker.
Hope to please you all with this one, greets! :-)

BTW: I'm new to the forum and thought this was a good way to introduce myself. Big greetings to all the wonderful Arch community!!!

Board footer