You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-21 23:33:38

bardo

[Request] vpopmail

Is anyone going to rebuild an updated version of vpopmail? The last one got deleted because it was obsolete.
I really need it, but it is undoubtfully beyond my packaging abilities, and I don't want to fall back to another distro which I don't find as comfortable as arch...

HELP ME!  sad

dreaming in digital / living in realtime / thinking in binary / talking in ip / welcome to our world

#2 2005-11-22 00:43:34

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: [Request] vpopmail

You never know if you can't package it if you don't try. :-)

You might get more response if you post this to the 'aur package requests' forum.  Cross posting is frowned upon, so you might better ask the mods to move the post.

Dusty

#3 2005-11-22 00:57:53

bardo

I'm posting here because it was in extra smile
If the mods think that this post should be in the AUR forum, they can move, no problem for me.

About the difficulty of the package, I say so because I tried to do it. It shouldn't be very hard, but every build I found for the other distros is really a mess (just look at debian's, or gentoo's). It is hardly patched, and not only for distro customization...

This is the old version: http://cvs.archlinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcv … root=Extra
just take a look and you'll understand what I mean...

dreaming in digital / living in realtime / thinking in binary / talking in ip / welcome to our world

#4 2005-11-22 01:52:33

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

if you are using postfix, I would suggest postfixadmin..
as it supports virtual mail, and works fairly well.

if you are using qmail..then I don't know of any alternatives. I realize you wanted vpopmail, but since I have no experience with it, I will be of little use to you.

Maybe someone else out there uses it.. a bit of waiting might pay off.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2005-11-22 06:20:39

bardo

That's right, I'm a qmailer. I've never used postfix, but I think I have to learn... next week I have to deliver the machine... Maybe I'll ask on irc/ml, first.

Thanks anyway smile

#6 2005-11-23 08:37:48

JGC
Developer

postfix with courier and mysql is quite powerful. Too bad we don't have Cyrus in the repositories. Postfix + LDAP/MySQL + Cyrus turns your mailserver into a killer beast that has everything smile

#7 2005-11-23 21:31:11

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

dovecot is better than courier. As an added plus, it does mysql integration, pop, and imap.
yeah. bummer about cyrus (sasl). I suppose you could try "pop before smtp" or something.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#8 2005-11-23 22:36:17

JGC
Developer

pop-before-smtp isn't very nice: all Microsoft software does SMTP-before-POP... Nice when you're on dialup, create a nice mail message, press send, allow outlook to dialup, send the mail, get relay access denied, then hangup the connection automatically and you're back where you started tongue

IMHO we should improve our postfix package. Currently it is outdated and doesn't come with much usable things integrated.

#9 2005-11-23 22:49:59

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I had a pretty nice postfix pkgbuild laying around somewhere at one point...I even had a real nice wiki doc on it (postfix,clamav,spamassasin,etc)..
dunno where that pkgbuild went..might have to dig around and see if I can find it.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

Board footer