You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-22 05:48:32

gtolden

TTY login issues, is it still a bug?

Hi
I had an fresh install by archboot 201303 yesterday and after solving this issue, I upgrade the whole system successfully, which I think is up to date.
However, when I go on to useradd according to this wiki, I encountered a problem. I can't log in as a standard user I just created in tty while the root user was fine, even after I ran passwd and the password updated successfully. After googling I found this thread:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=164877

So I looked into the /etc/shells file and foud there are three lines: “bin/sh” "/bin/bash" and "/bin/dash"(after "#End of file..."). As I learned when upgrading the system, the /bin has ben merged intp /usr/bin, so I replaced /bin with /usr/bin. To my joy, it works, I can login as a regular user now, but in the contrast, I can't login as root in tty now (but I can still su into it, that's no problem).

THE QUESTION IS: is it a bug? or did I do something wrong? I was really confused.

Thx smile

#2 2013-07-22 12:16:27

karol
Archivist

Re: TTY login issues, is it still a bug?

You forgot to tell us how exactly did you create your user. If you specified /usr/bin/bash as his shell, then you should change it to /bin/bash and cahnge it back to /bin/bash in /etc/shells too. This way both your users and root should be able to log in w/o a problem.

/bin is symlink to /usr/bin, so there's no need to manually change e.g. '#!/bin/bash' in every script.

For bash and dash, use /bin/bash or /bin/dash respectively.
If you want to use zsh, currently Arch uses /usr/bin/zsh as the path in /etc/shells, so yeah, this is confusing.

#3 2013-07-22 13:36:29

WonderWoofy

zsh using the /usr/bin path bothered me, so I added /bin/zsh to the list.  I'm not sure if there are any potential negative side effects to having zsh there twice in two different paths, but so far I have not seen anything funky.

#4 2013-07-22 13:43:30

karol
Archivist

WonderWoofy wrote:

zsh using the /usr/bin path bothered me, so I added /bin/zsh to the list.  I'm not sure if there are any potential negative side effects to having zsh there twice in two different paths, but so far I have not seen anything funky.

I think the consensus is that allowing users to pick either path is the best thing, but the discussion hasn't yet resulted in any config change I know of.

#5 2013-08-14 19:04:55

karol
Archivist

Board footer