You are not logged in.

#151 2014-03-05 15:44:26

lucasheringer

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad Y500, Linux 3.10, NVidia driver crashes

After updating to kernel 3.13 and nvidia driver I can't get a virtual console, Arch boots and freeze on the boot, but keyboard responses because if I try Ctrl+Alt+Del it reboots but I can't get a console to log in even if I disable the login manager, I always have to use the installation pen drive to downgrade the kernel and nvidia.
Anyone have this issue?

Edit 1: Ok, now I have VC smile

Edit 2: for anyone facing issues with new kernel and nvidia just put rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay=1 on the kernel boot line and it will work perfectly.

Last edited by lucasheringer (2014-03-05 21:41:56)

#152 2014-03-08 18:00:26

colinazzam
Website

lucasheringer wrote:

After updating to kernel 3.13 and nvidia driver I can't get a virtual console, Arch boots and freeze on the boot, but keyboard responses because if I try Ctrl+Alt+Del it reboots but I can't get a console to log in even if I disable the login manager, I always have to use the installation pen drive to downgrade the kernel and nvidia.
Anyone have this issue?

Edit 1: Ok, now I have VC smile

Edit 2: for anyone facing issues with new kernel and nvidia just put rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay=1 on the kernel boot line and it will work perfectly.

Thank you! I am so sick and tired of Nvidia, but this solved my problem! I get to update to a new kernel now...imagine that.

For my own knowledge, what exactly does this parameter do? And, if it is this simple, why isn't it built into the driver?

#153 2014-05-29 19:00:50

zacariaz

lucasheringer wrote:

Not quite.

I recently  realized that I could no longer get by with nouveau, so I went on a mission to somehow get the proprietary Nvidia driver to work.
So I started by starting X manually, which has been required for me in the past, for some odd reason I never figure out. Didn't make a difference.
Then I tried removing the secondary video card. Didn't make a difference, though it also did in the past.
Then I stumbled upon the "rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay" kernel parameter. Didn't make a difference.
Then I removed the secondary video card again, and this time I could start X.

However, I do now have a perfectly fine and quite expensive video card lying around doing nothing, but worse yet, I still have issues with screen tearing. I never did figure out how to fix that, which is why that last time things went haywire, I decided to settle for the nouveau driver.

Worse yet, Nvidia is aware of the problems, and have been for quite a while, regarding the GT 650m and have decided to do... Yes, you guessed it. NOTHING!

In short, I'm in tears. I need the proprietary driver due to the need to hardware acceleration and other stuff, and of course it works, though now I only have half the power and can't even watch a movie without getting a headache.

I considered starting a thread here at the forum... again... people at this forum after all are rather clever, but I have more or less come to the conclusion that the problem can't be solved.

Well, end of rant I suppose, just wanted to say that while "rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay" helps, there are still significant issues, for me at least, and the only solution seem to be to not use a laptop with the gt 650m card, and possible other similar cards.

Best regards

Edit:
The screen tearing section in this guide http://www.supaevensteven.com/2014/03/l … 4-lts.html may have helped that particular issue a bit, though not completely solved.

Last edited by zacariaz (2014-05-29 19:35:20)

I am a philosopher, of sorts, not a troll or an imbecile.
My apologies that this is not always obvious, despite my best efforts.

Board footer