You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-28 10:35:53

mkartic

Kernel Panic when Modem switches on

Hi,

I have been getting kernel panics each time my modem restarts. (flaky power connection)
Since it happens every time my modem is back on line and my system is supposed to get an IP address, I suspect it is something to do with the networking modules. Please help me out.

Yours,
MK

#2 2013-07-28 19:16:00

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Kernel Panic when Modem switches on

External Modem?   What, a DSL or Cable Modem?
Are you connected by Ethernet? By USB?
What are you using to manage your network connection? (netctl, wicd, NetworkManager, a home grown script?)
Anything interesting in the journal?
Are you certain it is a kernel panic?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-07-31 00:56:31

mkartic

Sorry for the delayed response. I was hoping it would be a kernel bug with the latest updates or something, so was skimpy on details.

It is a DSL modem, and is connected by Wifi.
I am using wicd for managing my network connections.

I am certain it is a kernel panic because my system stops responding and a text-filled screen comes up that has 'kernel panic' in it. After I asked around at the IRC channel, I learnt that there was no way to log a KP.

Can you also please tell me what journal is/how to read it?

Thanks!

#4 2013-07-31 05:37:10

ewaller
Administrator

mkartic wrote:

...I am certain it is a kernel panic because my system stops responding and a text-filled screen comes up that has 'kernel panic' in it. After I asked around at the IRC channel, I learnt that there was no way to log a KP.

Can you also please tell me what journal is/how to read it?

Thanks!

The journal is the replacement for syslog.  Read it using journalctl

What is your WiFi chip set?  In other words, what is the output of lspci -nn

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer