You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-31 12:52:26

nornn

problems with ftp install

Hello.

I was trying to install arch linux 0.5 using ftp as my install method, and that is when I ran into my first problem with installing arch linux.  The problem is that after installing the base packages and the kernel I should be able to go into edit config files.  However, when I choose vi or for that matter nano and start to configure any of the config scripts they are completely empty.  That is to say there is no text whatsoever in the above mentioned files.  I have tried to install the boot loader which by default is grub and then go back to the config files and edit the boot/grub/menu.lst but it to is devoid of any default configuration.  I have rebooted and then booted off the boot and root disk which I used to install and mounted the hard disk with mount /dev/discs/disc0/part3 /mnt and then mount /dev/discs/disc0/part1 /mnt/boot only to find to my consternation that there is no grub boot files nor boot loader to configure.  My question is in reference to two things the first being during the install do I have to configure every config file from scratch, that is there are no default text or # remark text to configure from.  The second question being why is it that even after installing the boot loader I have no text in my /boot/grub/menu.1st file to work with.  Any help with my problem is greatly appreciated.

thank you thank you very much.

#2 2003-10-31 15:33:16

sarah31
Website

Re: problems with ftp install

unfortunately you have been struct by the absolutely most annoying bug in our installer. namely backstepping and not selecting certain option during the setup process. rather than go into detail about this what i suggest you do is start over. go through each step and do not go back a step.

most importantly when you have completed your drive setup,mounting,etc select the "done" option. if you do not select this your face will turn blue trying to figure out why things are going wrong.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-10-31 16:59:18

nornn

Re: problems with ftp install

Hello Sarah.

Thank you for your reply.  I am going to try to install from ftp again, but I am also considering getting the base install iso to use in case my install from ftp fails.

thank you thank you very much.

Board footer