You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-03 13:31:09

netpumber

[SOLVED] Network-manager cannot get a reply from Dbus in XFCE4

Hi.

I have a fresh arch install in a laptop using xfce4 and im trying to connect it in a wireless network with networkmanager.

The problem is that when im trying to run nm-applet it returns me an error:

** (nm-applet:5890): WARNING **: Failed to initialize D-Bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Also i saw that the dbus service is running normally

dbus.service                                                loaded active running   D-Bus System Message Bus

Any idea on what maybe the problem is ?

Thanks.

Last edited by netpumber (2013-08-04 19:01:38)

#2 2013-08-03 14:10:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Network-manager cannot get a reply from Dbus in XFCE4

Until recently, I would have answered this by describing the need for 3 distinct dbus processes to be running.  A dbus-daemon run as root, a dbus-daemon run as your user, and dbus-launch run as your user.

The first would be started by systemd/init.  The other two would have to be started in launching the windowmanger via `exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session your_window_manager` in xinitrc.

I say that's how I used to answer this.  Allegedly a fairly recent change has done away with the need for calling dbus-launch explicitly.  It should start the first time it is needed.  But in your case it may not be doing so.  So to trouble shoot, first check for running dbus processes - use pstree/top/htop and make sure you have all three running (I like htop for this as it's easy to see what user they are running under).

If all three aren't running, you could (at least temporarly) add the dbus-launch to your xinitrc or equivalent startup file.  If that works, then you can track down why your dbus isn't engaging in the 'new' behavior.

EDIT: of course, if all three are running already, then ignore my noisy post.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-08-03 14:12:08)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-08-03 18:06:01

netpumber

Thanks for your reply. So i add this to my .xinitrc and now things change.

Here is the pstree:

systemd─┬─at-spi-bus-laun─┬─dbus-daemon
        │                 └─3*[{at-spi-bus-laun}]
        ├─at-spi2-registr───{at-spi2-registr}
        ├─chromium─┬─chromium
        │          ├─chromium-sandbo───chromium─┬─chromium───2*[chromium───3*[{chromium}]]
        │          │                            └─nacl_helper_boo
        │          └─42*[{chromium}]
        ├─3*[dbus-daemon]
        ├─2*[dbus-launch]

Now when im going to run nm-applet this is what i take:

** (nm-applet:1786): WARNING **: Could not initialize NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.

** (nm-applet:1786): WARNING **: Error connecting to ModemManager: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.ModemManager1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.LoadFailed: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service' for details.

** (nm-applet:1786): WARNING **: fetch_connections_done: error fetching connections: (32) Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details..

** (nm-applet:1786): WARNING **: Failed to register as an agent: (32) Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service' for details.

also  systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service
returns :

dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service
   Loaded: error (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)

#4 2013-08-03 18:11:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Did you check the process list *before* adding that to your xinitrc.  From these results you now have extra dbus processes running, so I'm guessing you originally did have all the proper dbus processes running.  If this is the case, then my suspicion about the cause would be wrong.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2013-08-03 18:21:28

netpumber

Yes you are right. Youe suspicion was wrong. I delete the line from .xinitrc  and then reboot. Now it seems that dbus runs correctly.

[n3t@ribosome ~]$ pstree
systemd─┬─at-spi-bus-laun─┬─dbus-daemon
        │                 └─4*[{at-spi-bus-laun}]
        ├─at-spi2-registr───{at-spi2-registr}
        ├─2*[dbus-daemon]
        ├─dbus-launch
        ├─dhcpcd

but the error message when i'm running the nm-applet is the same as my previous post.

#6 2013-08-03 18:47:46

Stebalien
Website

You have to enable the network-manager service (systemctl enable NetworkManger.service). Long story short, systemd lets you manage dbus-activated services. If dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service is not a symlink to NetworkManager.service, the service will not be started.

Last edited by Stebalien (2013-08-03 18:49:39)

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#7 2013-08-04 09:20:18

netpumber

Ok i did that and the icon at notification area appeared. But when im going to connect into a wireless network it crashes with a seg fault

** (nm-applet:1044): WARNING **: Error connecting to ModemManager: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.ModemManager1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.LoadFailed: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service' for details.
** Message: Remote error from secret service: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.secrets was not provided by any .service files
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

#8 2013-08-04 14:47:43

Stebalien
Website

You need to install and start Gnome Keyring. nm-applet expects a secrets service. If you want the first error to go away, you can enable ModemManager.service. However, IIRC, you can just ignore that error.

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#9 2013-08-04 19:00:16

netpumber

Stebalien wrote:

You need to install and start Gnome Keyring. nm-applet expects a secrets service. If you want the first error to go away, you can enable ModemManager.service. However, IIRC, you can just ignore that error.

Thank you. Problem solved by enabling Gnome Keyring from Advanced tab of Session and Startup manager (in xfce4) ticking in the box saying "Launch GNOME services at startup".

Board footer