You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-07 20:43:06

BrendanC

[Solved] Ipython Notebook Setup - zmq Dependency Issue

I'm posting both the problem and the solution here in case this helps anyone else who is working with IPython

I just ran into  an issue trying to run the ipython notebook on a fresh install of Arch Linux. After installation Ipython works correctly from a shell/terminal prompt, but fails to start when you try to run it in notebook mode (via the' $ ipython notebook --pylab' command ).

This fails with an error that the incorrect version of pyzmq is installed - it's looking for version 2.1.4 (which apparently is not installed with the IPython install. FWIW I reinstalled ipython just to verify that I was not imagining things<g>)!.  You can see some more info on this link:

http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/inst … python-zmq

To reinstall/upgrade to the correct version use the following command:

$ sudo pip2 install ipython[zmq]

Notes:  1) This is the appropriate syntax to install subcomponents within a package (did not know this before as I normally install the entire pkg))
            2) I use pip2 here as I have both py2.7 and 3.3 installed and I'm trying to develop with py 3.3.
            3) AFAIK pip install is recommended over pacman for python components.

Hope this helps someone as it's frustrating trying to solve these install dependency issues - especially if the focus is on finishing some other task. Perhaps someone could confirm where this needs to be fixed as the problem is probably due to an upstream dependency.

Board footer