You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-08 06:44:02

Cromulent
Website

New version of xf86-video-ati seems to have broken display output

After upgrading to the lates version of xf86-video-ati my screen now just either displays nothing in SLiM of shows black and grey horizontal lines. When booting up the display is find as it is in Windows 8 on the same computer on dual boot.

I'm not entirely sure what I need to do to fix the issue. Has anyone else had any issues with xf86-video-ati driver update that was released on the 7th of August?

#2 2013-08-08 10:57:07

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: New version of xf86-video-ati seems to have broken display output

No problems here, but i don't use any DM.

it could be  a problem with SLIM, so let's try to find that out.

Use CTRL+ALT+F1 to get to the console from the slim screen.

login as root on the console,
copy /var/log/Xorg0.log to Xorg-slim.log or something similar
run systemctl enable multi-user.target , this will make the system boot to console instead of slim
reboot

login as user from console, run startx .
copy /var/log/Xorg0.log to Xorg-startx.log

tell us if X works this way, and post both logs (you might want to put them on a pastebin site).

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2013-08-08 11:03:24

Cromulent
Website

Lone_Wolf wrote:

No problems here, but i don't use any DM.

it could be  a problem with SLIM, so let's try to find that out.

login as root on the console,
copy /var/log/Xorg0.log to Xorg-slim.log or something similar
run systemctl enable multi-user.target , this will make the system boot to console instead of slim
reboot

login as user from console, run startx .
copy /var/log/Xorg0.log to Xorg-startx.log

tell us if X works this way, and post both logs (you might want to put them on a pastebin site).

I've love to be able to do that but as I said the only time the screen is fine is when the system is booting. As soon as it reaches the SLiM section it is completely blank. I can still login though and when I do the screen is scrambled with a multitude of grey horizontal lines and I can't see anything. I'd need to try and find a solution using the Arch Linux boot disc regarding this; I'm just not sure where the start.

Edit: I'd be tempted to just reinstall on this one but I don't want the same thing to happen again. Perhaps it is due to the fact that I have a Crossfire set up?

Last edited by Cromulent (2013-08-08 11:06:29)

#4 2013-08-08 11:24:54

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Something in your video configuration could be the cause of the problems, but we need more info.

check the archwiki systemd-page, section "Change default target to boot into " , this will tell you how to use a kernel parameter to force systemd to boot into a specific target.
(how to edit the command line from bootmenu depends on your  bootloader, check the wiki).

An alternative would be to boot with an archlinux install iso and use a chroot, wiki has details on how to do that.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2013-08-08 11:26:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Cromulent wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:

I've love to be able to do that ...

Then why don't you?

You don't need to have anything on the screen to be able to use the keyboard.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2013-08-08 12:14:31

Cromulent
Website

Trilby wrote:
Cromulent wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:

I've love to be able to do that ...

Then why don't you?

You don't need to have anything on the screen to be able to use the keyboard.

True but it is a bit hit and miss. I'll *see* what happens.

#7 2013-08-08 13:11:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

*confused*

Have you tried that and it doesn't bring you to another terminal?  Or have you not tried it?  I don't see what could be hit and miss if you haven't tried.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2013-08-08 23:54:16

kantras

Out of interest, which video card are you using? I'm having an issue with the latest drivers since they've enabled glamor support for radeonsi by default - I'm using a 7750 and am now getting GPU lockups just trying to open firefox; I've had to force it to use EXA acceleration instead to get back stability.

#9 2013-08-09 08:12:39

Cromulent
Website

kantras wrote:

Out of interest, which video card are you using? I'm having an issue with the latest drivers since they've enabled glamor support for radeonsi by default - I'm using a 7750 and am now getting GPU lockups just trying to open firefox; I've had to force it to use EXA acceleration instead to get back stability.

I have two 7950's in a Crossfire configuration. Works perfectly in Windows 8 but when I reboot into Arch Linux there is no end of trouble.

I'm about to do a reinstall to see if that changes anything (it was due about now anyway). How did you force EXA acceleration by the way? I might try that as well.

Thanks

#10 2013-08-09 11:07:56

mico

Cromulent wrote:

Has anyone else had any issues with xf86-video-ati driver update that was released on the 7th of August?

I am having a different issue but is also caused by same package. When I click log out (or press Alt+F4) from xfce then X (the process) takes 100% CPU power and everything becomes unresponsive for a minute or two. Then I finaly get the log out menu and I can log off or restart.
For now I have just downgraded xf86-video-ati to 1:7.1.0-3 (funny version by the way, using colon instead of a dot) and it works fine again.

#11 2013-08-09 15:51:20

kantras

Cromulent wrote:
kantras wrote:

I have two 7950's in a Crossfire configuration. Works perfectly in Windows 8 but when I reboot into Arch Linux there is no end of trouble.

I'm about to do a reinstall to see if that changes anything (it was due about now anyway). How did you force EXA acceleration by the way? I might try that as well.

Thanks

I created a file, /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf, and added the following:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "card0"
        Driver  "radeon"
        Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
EndSection

If you aready have a device section, just add the Option part.

#12 2013-08-09 16:38:30

Cromulent
Website

kantras wrote:
Cromulent wrote:
kantras wrote:

Thanks

Section "Device"
        Identifier "card0"
        Driver  "radeon"
EndSection

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it later on.

#13 2013-08-09 18:05:41

Orexode

I am having issues as well with the latest xf86-video-ati driver (1:7.2.0-1).

I do not have anything as fancy as a crossfire setup. I am just running a single SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7750. I started having problems immediately after upgrading this morning.

After booting into slim and logging in, I would have a somewhat functional machine for about 3-5 minutes. The screen would go either completely black, black with the monitor sleeping, or wild colors. Once or twice the screen came back for a few seconds but it would just repeat the problem and become completely unusable. I could not CTRL+ALT+F# into a terminal to do anything. The screen would just remain messed up.

The only thing that worked for me so far was just rebooting and without going past SLIM immediately go into another terminal and downgrade the package to the older version still in my cache.

Last edited by Orexode (2013-08-09 18:06:55)

#14 2013-08-09 19:49:08

Orexode

kantras wrote:
Cromulent wrote:
kantras wrote:

Thanks

Section "Device"
        Identifier "card0"
        Driver  "radeon"
EndSection

Kantras, your solution works for me. I noticed we're running the same card and we're probably seeing a lot of the same symptoms. I took a closer look at my box, and then made a config file like the one above and it seems to be fixed so far (after upgrading the package again and rebooting).

Thanks a ton.

#15 2013-08-10 00:07:41

onewarmslime

kantras wrote:
Cromulent wrote:
kantras wrote:

Thanks

Section "Device"
        Identifier "card0"
        Driver  "radeon"
EndSection

This worked for me. After the update video players couldn't use hardware acceleration and as a result I could play almost no video. thanks a million, I thought I'd have to wait half a month until this was fixed

#16 2013-08-10 01:35:53

rufus
Banned

if yur gonna force "EXA"
      you might as well add     

Option	"EXAVSync"              "off"
Option	"EXAPixmaps"           "on" 

just above EndSection and after Option   "AccelMethod" "EXA"

end ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     'the machine is not the end to the means., we are. In history, in board rooms and politic the greatest  decision and effort
        evolves from passion, lust for life, and a common sense of humanity. Never forget what you are and why'.         -me

Board footer