You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-30 20:13:40

Gullible Jones

KDE embedded multimedia support is broken beyond belief

As with Totem's plugin, I just get a blank white space. Right-clicking on the space where the movie ought to be does nothing. The play, pause, etc. buttons do appear, but clicking them doesn't do anything. This is the case for *all* videos.

I'm starting to wonder if this thing is a problem with dbus...

(In case you ask, I've tried Kaffeine. It works, but a) the plugin doesn't support Quicktime movies and b) it crashes Konqueror, so it's not a viable workaround.)

#2 2005-12-01 11:20:29

Gullible Jones

Re: KDE embedded multimedia support is broken beyond belief

Here's a screenshot of the embedded media player (Kaboodle?) acting up:

LINK

It's a Quicktime movie, yes, but it gives the same response as any movie - WMV, Ogg Theora, AVI (DivX-encoded or otherwise), etc.

#3 2005-12-01 17:55:32

Gullible Jones

Uhh... Could someone please confirm this?

#4 2005-12-01 18:40:18

babyigor37

Same thing happens when I try to view that trailer with the kaboodle embedded media player.  It works perfectly with KMplayer's plugin, as does every other video I've tried to watch.

#5 2005-12-01 19:25:34

Gullible Jones

Hmm... This is weird. As I said, reminds me very much of the Totem plugin thing.

Now I'm thinking, Totem's embedded multimedia plugin worked fine until version 1.4.0... Which was when it started depending on dbus 0.35.x. KDE also uses dbus... So I wonder: could this be a dbus bug?

#6 2005-12-02 00:46:03

Gullible Jones

Just got the embedded media player to play an MP3. About half way through... hard freeze. :shock: Sound stopped, cursor refused to move, etc.

Tried again (this time with dbus and hal disabled)...

And I got the same thing. :shock:  :shock:  :shock: Frozen, solid as a bloody ice cube, like I'd been hit by a forkbomb or something.

I'm switching over to the Kaffeine plugin. That may crash Konqueror, but at least it doesn't crash the whole fucking OS for God's sake! :shock:

Edit: Bah, Kaffeine plugin is worthless - doesn't play a damn thing. And I can't play the mp3 directly from the website in Noatun either, Noatun crashes immediately. I actually have to save it to my HDD to play it. This should not be!

#7 2005-12-04 17:58:42

Snarkout

Has this worked for you on any distro?  The only distro I've used recently that I could get any of this working correctly was FC3, and even then it was never in-line (like your screenie would suggest you're looking for) -- it always opened in a separate player.  Kaffeine-mozilla was (IIRC) what I ended up using back then.  The mplayer plugin crashed all the time.

FWIW, I just tried installing kaffeine-mozilla on my kubuntu box, and it crashes Konq hard enough that I had to f-key to a console window and kill it from there.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#8 2005-12-04 18:02:04

Gullible Jones

This is very annoying... No DE has working embedded multimedia support. roll

#9 2005-12-04 18:18:52

Snarkout

Well, after you piqued my interest, I went back to firefox to see how it faired.  It plays everything I looked at on the apple sight with the mplayer plugin on my Kubuntu box, no issues at all.  I haven't tried it on my arch box yet -- my 2 year old is watching They Might Be Giants swfs on it right now.  I guess what this means is that to have a complete desktop experience while using KDE, you need more than one browser (Konq won't do a lot of javascript stuff too - frappr for instance).  This is essentially what it was like running OS X two years ago.  This is more or less what I'd expect from runnning linux and OS X - KDE is sweet, kicks OS X's ass in some areas, but gets trounced in others.  It isn't a fix, certainly, but it's a workaround even if somewhat cumbersome.  I haven't used windows in at least 6 years outside of work, so I tend to forget some of the things that windows users take for granted <requisite windows jab>viruses and malware included</>.

-Albert Einstein

#10 2005-12-04 20:17:03

Snarkout

Nope.  On my arch box, mplayer plugin barfs on everything.

-Albert Einstein

#11 2005-12-04 21:02:01

Gullible Jones

For me, mplayer-plugin plays things, but causes windows or tabs that it's activated in to hang when you close them.

#12 2005-12-05 20:42:56

MartinZ

Did you try mozplugger?
It also works with Opera if you establish the correct symbolic links

All your base are belong to us

#13 2005-12-05 21:05:49

Gullible Jones

Mozplugger does not allow you to embed, likes to buffer things 100% before playing them, and is annoying in various other ways. Basically, it sucks.

We're talking here about embedded multimedia support that doesn't require you to write your own damn config file for it. Yes, some things are designed to be customized, but IMNSHO embedded multimedia is one of those things that should just bloody work.

(How hard can it be? GXine does it perfectly. It doesn't even have to be embedded in the web page for crying out loud, it just has to work! But GXine's plugin is the only one that ain't buggy or broken, and it doesn't play stuff which I know Xine can play perfectly well.)

#14 2005-12-05 21:41:29

Snarkout

I'm going to try ripping everything out and putting it back in -- Judland tels me that his box streams everything perfectly, so it may be an issue with my install.  Mozplugger would be fine with me actually, but I really do want to be able to stream multimedia.

-Albert Einstein

#15 2005-12-05 22:04:19

Gullible Jones

What DE is "Judland" using? And what universe is he in?

#16 2005-12-06 03:12:24

Snarkout

Judland is a guy who posts over at the Linux Link Tech Show forum, where I'm more or less a regular.  He also posts here, and is very pro-arch at this point.  If I'm not mistaken, he's actually running Underground Desktop at this point, which (IIRC again, sorry) is more or less an installer for arch.  He made a few posts in the thread where you pointed me to this one, so I figured maybe you'd seen his name on these fora a few times.

-Albert Einstein

#17 2005-12-06 04:58:05

Snarkout

FWIW, after ripping out mplayer, mplayer plugin, mozplugger, and firefox, I reinstalled all of them.  Now *most* stuff will play.  So far, what will not play are small imbedded mp3 streams (clicking on the "download" link open a fullscreen plugin window that works fine) on a few sites I could tink of off the top of my head.

-Albert Einstein

#18 2005-12-06 11:51:40

Gullible Jones

Ah... No no no, my problem was with KDE only. Noatun would crash if you tried to stream an MP3 with it, and *everything* would hard-freeze if you tried to play the MP3 embedded.

Now I use the Totem plugin, which just doesn't work at all. roll

(What the hell exactly happened to it? It worked fine in Totem 1.3!)

#19 2005-12-06 13:57:42

Snarkout

Ah.  Sorry to threadcrap then.  I'm still curious why mplayer-plugin is only 3/4 functional though.  FWIW, I compiled and ran the plugin version I run on Kubuntu, and same deal, so it's not an issue with the version #, and doesn't appear to be an issue with the plugin.  Trippy.

-Albert Einstein

#20 2005-12-06 19:59:50

Gullible Jones

The only problem I've ever had with mplayer-plugin is the hanging when closing windows or tabs, and that's only when playing Quicktime movies. Other than that, it's groovy.

Board footer