You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-11 21:47:51

jdall

crash on boot

I'm trying to install ArchLinux but unfortunately the installer crashes on boot.

Based on experience with another distro, I'm pretty sure this is related to udev in that I know for a fact that my computer has an issue with 175-3, which is the version that the ArchLinux installer is using.

Is a previous version of the installer available or is it possible to customize the installer to use a previous udev version during boot (I'm looking for an installer using udev 171-3)

Thanks.

#2 2013-08-11 22:12:33

WonderWoofy

Re: crash on boot

We uses systemd, and systemd provides udev.  So we are at systemd version 204 in the standard repos (and 206 in the testing repo). 

Maybe if you were a bit more explicit in indicating what exactly you are seeing during the boot process.  Also what kind of machine do you have?  And what issue "related to udev" is it that you think is happening?  How do you know that the previous problems that you had were really udev? 

If you really think that there is something about udev that is incompatible with your machine, then I would recommend you don't use anything which uses systemd as the init system...

#3 2013-08-12 08:29:16

jdall

Thank you for your feedback.

The case is... the system I'm running now, is using udev 171-3. The moment I upgrade udev (to 175-3), the system no longer fully boots (I've spend quite some time a while ago isolating which packages in the upgrade process that caused this behavior).
The kernel loading either just stops, stops with a lot of text on the screen or stops and reboots.

Yesterday, due to a stupid mistake, I upgraded udev and bang... the system refused to boot. That's why I started to look for an alternative. Unfortunately, the newer installation ISO's for the distro I'm running crashes during boot. As does the ArchLinux one.

So I guess I'm stuck at what I have (which is not really that bad, because it's using the same package update scheme as ArchLinux and therefore never really gets outdated)

uname -a reports: Linux jada 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.32-1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
The CPU is a E8600 overclocked at 4GHz.
The system is installed on a SSD, with home and swap located on a software RAID.

So back to my question that remain unanswered:

Is a previous version of the installer ISO available or is it possible to customize the installer to use a previous systemd/udev version during boot?

Thanks.

#4 2013-08-12 11:47:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

jdall, I just did a quick search but couldn't find it - but there is a site with an archive of installation isos.

However, they will not help your situation.  *perhaps* the old iso would boot, but if your analysis is correct, the newly installed system would not boot - the installs are all net install which get the current versions of every package.  If the iso will not boot, neither will an up-to-date installed system.

So if you want old isos, google for them and they should turn up, but be warned that this is not going to help your situation.

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#5 2013-08-12 16:10:15

jean_no

Hi

jdall wrote:

The CPU is a E8600 overclocked at 4GHz.

Try without overclocking.

#6 2014-10-18 12:00:54

jdall

Over a year ago, I know... but haven't been able to solve the issue. And now I would really really like to run arch linux.

Tried without overclocking (both safe and default settings in BIOS) - it changes absolutely *nothing*. The install still crashes during boot, at loading or after having loaded udev.

I've also tried all the suggested solutions that I've been able to dig up, to no avail.

If someone knows how to debug this in greater detail, please let me know - I have a feeling this is hardware related, but would hate having to replace everything. Being able to pinpoint the cause would be great.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by jdall (2014-10-18 12:01:39)

Board footer