You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-01 08:43:58

Skyscraper

Problem with "Unmounting filesystems BUSY" during

Hi there smile

I'd like to ask if Anyone knows what is going on with my Arch Current system.

On my workstation I'm mounting Samba shares from my Samba server (using smbclient...)
And everything is fine but when I'm trying to shutdown or reboot computer, during shutdown sequence I have to wait very long when system is "Unmounting filesystems"... it's BUSY all the time...
After several minutes I'm getting something like that more or less "Cannot connect to directory: input/output error".
I'm sure that system cannot properly unmount my samba shares during that operation. Network conenctions are down because it stops network earlier even before SIGTERMS...

I've noticed that earlier, maybe 2-3 weeks ago everything was fine. But I cannot tell exactly when.

Do You experience such thing? Maybe someone could help me in this problem?

Thanks smile
Best regards!

#2 2005-12-01 11:31:13

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Problem with "Unmounting filesystems BUSY" during

I'm not going to guess why it's broken now, when it was working a while ago, but I'd recommend that you use the netfs daemon to handle your smb shares, and make sure it's listed after the network daemon in the rc.conf DAEMONS array. This way, you're network will be brought up before mounting, and down after unmounting.

<edit>
Just checked, and it's already there in rc.conf by default.

#3 2005-12-01 11:34:45

kth5
Website

since you don't say a thing about mounting your smb shares in fstab my guess is that the network is brought down before the remaining filesystems are getting unmounted. of course you will run into problems then. ;p

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#4 2005-12-01 13:35:08

Skyscraper

tomk wrote:

I'm not going to guess why it's broken now, when it was working a while ago, but I'd recommend that you use the netfs daemon to handle your smb shares, and make sure it's listed after the network daemon in the rc.conf DAEMONS array. This way, you're network will be brought up before mounting, and down after unmounting.
<edit>
Just checked, and it's already there in rc.conf by default.

Thanks for the advice but so far I've used only samba (after network in rc.conf's deamons section) and everything was fine. I'll check that netfs...

#5 2005-12-01 13:42:24

Skyscraper

kth5 wrote:

since you don't say a thing about mounting your smb shares in fstab my guess is that the network is brought down before the remaining filesystems are getting unmounted. of course you will run into problems then. ;p

Well, 10 minutes ago i tried using FSTAB

//server/share /mount/point smbfs username=user,password=pasword,dmask=777,fmask=755 0 0

but it didn't mount samba share on startup. I had to manually do

mount //server/share

to get access to shares.
And again, during shutdown "Unmounting filesystems..." took a long time...

Strange.
here's my /etc/rc.conf deamons ection

DAEMONS=(@syslog-ng !hotplug !pcmcia network !netfs !hal !dbus @cups @samba @crond @autofs @alsamixer)

and /etc/fstab

none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
#none                   /dev/shm      tmpfs     defaults            0      0
#tmpfs                  /tmp          tmpfs     defaults            0      0
usbfs                  /proc/bus/usb usbfs     defaults            0      0

//server/share /mnt/samba       smbfs   username=(...),password=(...),dmask=777,fmask=755     0       0

/dev/hdd     /mnt/cdrom   iso9660   ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/hda5 / reiserfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hda1        /mnt/fat_c     vfat    rw,umask=0,codepage=852,iocharset=iso8859-2      1 0
/dev/hda6        /mnt/fat_g     vfat    rw,umask=0,codepage=852,iocharset=iso8859-2      1 0
/dev/hda7        /mnt/fat_h     vfat    rw,umask=0,codepage=852,iocharset=iso8859-2      1 0

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1  /mnt/fat_usb   vfat    rw,umask=0,user,noauto,codepage=852,iocharset=iso8859-2  1 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/fl           auto    user,exec,noauto,comment=managed 0 0

Maybe i should add umounting script to the end of the deamons list so it could unmount all samba shares during shutdown/reboot?

Thanks smile

#6 2005-12-01 14:30:41

Skyscraper

Well, I've written script and added  it to the end of the deamons section in rc.conf.
It's working quite well... but it's mounted as root so I had to set permissions (dmask,fmask) for user
Here it is:

#!/bin/bash

. /etc/rc.conf
. /etc/rc.d/functions

case "$1" in
  start)
    stat_busy "Mounting Samba shares"
    smbmount //server/share /home/user/mountpoint -o username=(...),password=(...),dmask=777,fmask=777
    if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
      stat_fail
    else
      stat_done
    fi
    ;;
  stop)
    stat_busy "Unmounting Samba shares"
    smbumount /home/user/mountpoint
    if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
      stat_fail
    else