You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-01 10:54:44

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Adding repos to pacman.conf: A vs B

It seems that people do things in two ways.  I personally feel that one of these ways is "right", because it is the way that Arch does it by default, but that doesn't mean that the other way is "wrong".  Anyway, I wanted to see what most people do with pacman.conf

Example A:

To use this repository, add the following to your /etc/pacman.conf:

[shadowhand]
Server = http://archpkg.wgilk.com/shadowhand

This is also the way that z4ziggy reccommends that people add the Archie repos.

Example B:

Add a file to /etc/pacman.d called "dibble" containing:

#
# dibble: dibblethewrecker's pkg repo
# http://dtw.jiwe.org
#
[dibble]
Server = http://dtw.jiwe.org/pkgs/dibble

Add this line to pacman.conf:

Include = /etc/pacman.d/dibble

So, what do most people do?  14 day poll.  I'd also appreciate input from the devs if they have any.

#2 2005-12-01 11:06:14

s0lar

Re: Adding repos to pacman.conf: A vs B

For repo's like extra,current and community I use include. For repo's like shadowhand I user Server.

#3 2005-12-01 11:13:29

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Well, the question was for new repos so assume I mean things like Shadowhands when voting.

#4 2005-12-01 11:31:34

kth5
Website

normally i would only go through the hassle to create a file in /etc/pacman.d for a repo that has more than only one mirror available so that it actually makes sense.

is it possible to for example include a /etc/pacman.d/custom file containing something like:

[shadowhand] 
[dibble] 

sure is eh? that would be another idea of mine which i just came up with while reading this post.

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#5 2005-12-01 11:37:28

Gullible Jones

Using Include only makes sense for repos that are mirrored at multiple locations, IMO.

#6 2005-12-01 12:00:32

tomk
Forum Fellow

dibblethewrecker wrote:

I personally feel that one of these ways is "right", because it is the way that Arch does it by default

The default pacman.conf has examples of both, dibble - [testing] is commented, but it's using Server, not Include.

Most new servers are single and unmirrored, so that's my vote, but I think it's more of a discussion than a poll. Why does it matter, by the way?

#7 2005-12-01 12:44:40

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

"Server =" for me

#8 2005-12-01 13:04:06

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

tomk wrote:
dibblethewrecker wrote:

I personally feel that one of these ways is "right", because it is the way that Arch does it by default

The default pacman.conf has examples of both, dibble - [testing] is commented, but it's using Server, not Include.

Most new servers are single and unmirrored, so that's my vote, but I think it's more of a discussion than a poll. Why does it matter, by the way?

Because we need code to parse pacman.conf to check that people have certain repos list.  I wrongly assumed people used Include over Server but it seems I was wrong!

kth5: nice idea but no - if you have all your repos listed in one file then syncing custom will only sync from the first Server address listed smile

#9 2005-12-01 14:25:47

kth5
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

kth5: nice idea but no - if you have all your repos listed in one file then syncing custom will only sync from the first Server address listed smile

would be a nice (maybe easy to implement) feature request though. smile

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#10 2005-12-01 16:33:13

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

kth5 wrote:

is it possible to for example include a /etc/pacman.d/custom file containing something like:

[shadowhand] 
[dibble] 

That's what I do - though my file is /etc/pacman.d/other

#11 2005-12-01 16:34:55

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

kth5 wrote:
dibblethewrecker wrote:

would be a nice (maybe easy to implement) feature request though. smile

You can just add "Include = /blah/whatever" without a "[somerepo]" line above it, and leave the "[somerepo]" stuff in the include file

#12 2005-12-01 22:39:46

apeiro
Daddy
Website

The /etc/pacman.d directory was intended for long lists of servers, like we have for Current, Extra, etc.  It kept pacman.conf cleaner and easier to manage, and it provided an easier way for us to update the server lists without users having to merge in the pacman.conf.pacnew changes each time.

#13 2005-12-02 01:00:51

Richie

I don't have any include line in my pacman.conf. It just feels too 'big' to create a file per repo for something as simple as a location for some packages.
You just need ONE mirror at the same time, don't you?

#14 2005-12-02 15:26:12

stavrosg
Website

[Off-Topic]Richie: There are times that the first mirror is unavailable, or having all sorts of problems. If you have more than one mirrors in the Includes , pacman will user the second, third, etc mirror.
If not, YOU must go through the hassle of changing pacman.conf, no? ;-)[/Off-Topic]

[On-Topic]
I use A, though, and Include=/etc/pacman.d/custom line with all the rest repositories listed there seems more elegant, and I may as well use it next time I tinker with pacman.conf :-}

#15 2005-12-02 17:30:32

Richie

You can have more than one mirror in pacman.conf too. Even if you want or need more than one mirror, you really don't need hundreds of mirrors, so it should fit nicely in your pacman.conf.
No need for extra files.

#16 2005-12-04 11:30:33

iphitus
Forum Fellow

I just use a server line for everything. I dont see the point in seperation here. Find, Scrollbars and scrollwheels were invented for a reason.

Board footer