You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-15 12:52:10

kendallcschm

stuck on loading initial ramdisk

Hey guys, I just got a Lenovo G505s and it has an EFI, I put it in legacy support mode and installed arch as i would usually do on a bios based machine. now when I boot grub hangs on loading initial ramdisk and i'm not sure why. Do I have to do a GPT partition and set it up for UEFI or can I work with what I have and what could be freezing up my system

PIII 512MB custom Rig running Arch+Xfce+Xfce compositer+conky
compaq 610 running Arch+Xfce+compiz+conky
compaq evo D500 Arch+xfce+conky F@H rig
IBM E-server ubuntu server edition F@H rig and an HP Proliant DL380 G4 dual CPU 6GB RAM F@H rig

#2 2013-08-15 15:50:41

kendallcschm

Re: stuck on loading initial ramdisk

upon adding "insmod efi_gop" and "insmod efi_uga" to grub and then trying to boot i get "error: disk 'hd0,msdos2' not found." why can grub not find the partition.. the partition is marked with the bootable flag and is formatted ext4

IBM E-server ubuntu server edition F@H rig and an HP Proliant DL380 G4 dual CPU 6GB RAM F@H rig

#3 2013-08-15 23:00:06

kendallcschm

Re: stuck on loading initial ramdisk

once i boot to the grub rescue USB key then reboot into arch's grub then i get a blank screen upon selecting an os... can someone please help! if this is a stupid easy fix just give me the answer! i've installed arch hundreds of times but this is the first time i'm encountering EFIs and GPTs and all that jazz

Board footer