You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-20 22:26:05

Zetsumei

[SOLVED] EFISTUB saying it can't access sysfs or procfs...

I'm installing Arch back on my laptop (asus g75vw) and everything has went fine up until this point of the install.  I was looking at the Arch Beginner's Guide and did the following to install EFISTUB, but that's where the problems start.

# pacman -S efibootmgr
# umount /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
# modprobe -r efivars
# modprobe efivars
# efibootmgr -c -L "Arch Linux" -l /vmlinuz-linux -u "root=/dev/sdaX rw initrd=/initramfs-linux.img"

Now, when I went to do "umount /sys/firmware/efi/efivars" I get the following message:

umount: /sys/firmware/efi/efivars: not mounted

Then I did

modprobe -r efivars

thinking the above meant it unmounted it.  I then get another prompt, with no messages, after hitting enter.

I then do

modprobe efivars

and get the same, just another prompt.  I'm assuming that's what is supposed to happen or what?

Then I do

efibootmgr -c -L "Arch Linux" -l /vmlinuz-linux -u "root=/dev/sda2 rw initrd=/initramfs-linux.img

and get the following back:

Fatal: Couldn't open either sysfs or procfs directories for accessing EFI variables.
Try 'modprobe efivars' as root.

Thing is I've done all of this as root.  And I'm at a lost now.  Last time I installed Arch was way back in 2008-09.

Last edited by Zetsumei (2013-08-22 17:26:07)

#2 2013-08-20 23:07:55

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] EFISTUB saying it can't access sysfs or procfs...

#3 2013-08-20 23:21:40

Zetsumei

Re: [SOLVED] EFISTUB saying it can't access sysfs or procfs...

I swear I looked at the threads here before posting.  I don't know how I could of missed that one.  Will read over it.

Read over that thread and the person solved it by installing grub.  I'm using EFISTUB or am I mistaken and that's not an actual bootloader.

EDIT:  I followed https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … k_properly to switch to efivarfs and then tried the efibootmgr command to add a boot entry like the guide says.  Still gives me the same message.

EDIT2:  I said screw it and just installed gummiboot instead.  Worked fine on the first try.  On to setting up Arch finally smile.

Last edited by Zetsumei (2013-08-20 23:57:47)

Board footer