You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-21 15:29:20

rabcor
Banned

[Solved] Ethernet LED won't turn off when i turn off my computer?

I noticed this long ago but i never bothered to try to find out why.

I have two laptops (one hp and one thinkpad)

If i connect an ethernet cable to them while it's on, naturally the light pops up. But the light doesn't shut down with the rest of the computer when i shut it down. I do not understand how or why this would happen, Windows (7) turns off the lights when i turn it off.

My most effective method to get the damn light to turn off is to remove all power from the laptops. (alternatively i can just unplug the ethernet cable)
The network card most certainly should not be receiving power after the computer has been shut down.

What's up with this and can i fix it?

Last edited by rabcor (2013-08-21 21:36:07)

#2 2013-08-21 16:00:08

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] Ethernet LED won't turn off when i turn off my computer?

This is probably due to "wake on lan". See if your BIOS has such an option, and try disabling it. Though, I am not sure why the behaviour is different for Windows.

#3 2013-08-21 16:04:25

alphaniner

There is a reason why a NIC may be receiving power when the machine is off: wake on LAN. As to why you see different behavior in Windows vs Linux, IDK. If you have a shite NIC (ie. realtek) it's probably a bug*. If you have a quality NIC (ie. not realtek) it's probably something you can fix. Probably the easiest first step would be to use ethtool (extra/ethtool) to view and if necessary modify the WOL settings of your NIC:

# ethtool net1
	Supports Wake-on: pg
	Wake-on: d

* which may be unrelated to WOL capability.

Last edited by alphaniner (2013-08-21 16:08:11)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#4 2013-08-21 16:22:40

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Welcome to atx >=2.x standard. Quite a few things is still (standby) powered even after you turn the computer off.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#5 2013-08-21 16:43:34

ewaller
Administrator

Moving to Kernel and Hardware.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2013-08-21 18:31:10

mich41

alphaniner wrote:

As to why you see different behavior in Windows vs Linux, IDK. If you have a shite NIC (ie. realtek) it's probably a bug*. If you have a quality NIC (ie. not realtek) it's probably something you can fix.

The problem is clearly with crap software (i.e. Linux), not hardware. If hardware was buggy, the quality software (i.e. not Linux) wouldn't be able to shut it down.

alphaniner wrote:

Probably the easiest first step would be to use ethtool (extra/ethtool) to view and if necessary modify the WOL settings of your NIC

This.
Set WOL to "d" (disabled) with ethtool on every boot. Or try BIOS setup, it's possible that Linux will preserve settings made by BIOS.

Last edited by mich41 (2013-08-21 18:32:42)

#7 2013-08-21 19:52:52

alphaniner

mich41 wrote:

The problem is clearly with crap software (i.e. Linux), not hardware. If hardware was buggy, the quality software (i.e. not Linux) wouldn't be able to shut it down.

Actually, I think the source of the OP's problem is not clear at all, and I didn't mean to indict the hardware specifically. But if the software (ie. Linux driver) is crap, then the hardware that requires it is effectively crap in the context of Linux...

That being said, my advice came from similar experiences with two realtek NICs (my only two experiences with realtek NICs) and both were problematic under Windows as well. So, I don't try too hard to avoid disparaging their products.

Last edited by alphaniner (2013-08-21 20:07:17)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#8 2013-08-21 21:35:31

rabcor
Banned

Thanks for your replies guys. found this wiki entry. One of my laptops has in fact got a realtek ethernet controller, the other has an intel one.

As i run ethtool they both do in fact seem to support wake on lan.

Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g

are both their settings.

i ran

ethtool -s eth0 wol d

on both laptops, and in both cases the Leds are now off after i turn them off.

Thanks a bunch for your help guys smile

Last edited by rabcor (2013-08-22 08:31:04)

#9 2013-08-21 21:58:21

alphaniner

Did you run

ethtool -s eth0 wol g

or

ethtool -s eth0 wol d

?

I wouldn't have expected the former would do anything, as both were already set to 'g'.

-Lysander Spooner

#10 2013-08-22 08:31:48

rabcor
Banned

woops i misspelled that, i did "d" not "g"

all i need now is to find a way to make the setting permanently stick.

#11 2013-08-22 10:36:11

x33a
Forum Fellow

rabcor wrote:

all i need now is to find a way to make the setting permanently stick.

BIOS?

#12 2013-08-22 13:17:18

WonderWoofy

A simple solution would be to just have something run the command on boot.  On my laptop, which is rarely plugged into an ethernet cable anyway, I have a udev rule run it as soon as it is detected.

#13 2013-08-22 17:47:37

rabcor
Banned

Nah i couldn't find the option in my bios. But i do however already have a command that's run on every startup to disable hybrid graphics so i should be able to make that happen. Thanks.

Last edited by rabcor (2013-08-22 17:50:37)

Board footer