You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-22 00:59:37

rabarrett

[Solved] How to make dwm after simple config change?

Hi,

I'm trying to make the most elementary of changes to dwm:  changing the mod key from alt to windows key.  I made the change to the config.h file with vim and saved it.  I then tried to rebuild/make dwm as described here:  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dwm#Configuring

$ makepkg -g >> PKGBUILD

seems to work fine, but when I run:

$ makepkg -efi

I get the following error:

/home/user/dwm/PKGBUILD: line 24: cd: /home/arch-westley/dwm/src/dwm-6.0: No such file or directory
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...

I'm guessing there is some simple change I need to make to resolve this, but I can't figure out what it is.

Note:  I'm using this page to learn how to change the config.h file:  http://dwm.suckless.org/customisation/windows_key

I don't usually write code, but did take one C++ class in college.  So I'm perhaps a little out of my league here, but I'm really enjoying using arch and would like to switch from awesome wm to dwm now.  Any help appreciated.

Rick

Last edited by rabarrett (2013-08-22 18:47:19)

#2 2013-08-22 01:03:06

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [Solved] How to make dwm after simple config change?

Did you revise that error message, or do you have two different user accounts (user and arch-westley)?  Are you running makepkg as a user whose home folder you are not currently in?

I see that it is in the wiki - but you shouldn't need to redifine the checksums as you are bypassing the downloading of the source.

EDIT: nevermind all of the above - I'm guessing this is a clean directory you are doing this in so you can't use the "-efi" flags.  I think the wiki should be updated: either
1) edit the config.h, then run makepkg -g >> PKGBUILD, then makepkg or
2) run makepkg (or makepkg -o), then edit the config, then run makepkg -efi.

In the latter case, every subsequent change to config.h will only require a `makepkg -efi` as you already have the downloaded source.  You currently don't have it.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-08-22 01:16:11)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-08-22 18:46:59

rabarrett

Thank you Trilby!  I think that did it!.  Now I've just got to figure out how to apply patches.  The bottom stack patch isn't working for me and this didn't seem to work either (or I didn't do it right):  https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=78263.  But I should make that as a separate post since it's different than making and the other post looks old.

#4 2013-08-22 20:13:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I agree that'd be best in a different thread, but as a preview of where it will likely go: that patch is for an old version of dwm.  I know that patch has been updated for dwm 6.0 - I used to have it (no longer).  There are a couple long dwm threads that contain links to such patches.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2013-09-07 06:27:12

rabarrett

I ran into something similar that I can't explain.

I was having trouble applying the patch, etc., so I decided to start from scratch.  I used the same method as before (and followed your directions in this thread for making mod-key changes and changing my term from urxvt to sakura.  When I ran makepkg -efi, it appeared to compile and install, but the changes don't take effect.  I check the config.h again, and it is still edited like I changed it, but it doesn't seem to change dwm.

I even went beneath the ~/dwm directory and checked the config.h in the src directory.  It has been updated with the changes I made, but when I run dwm, it doesn't show the effect (old mod-key (alt) is still the modkey instead of the windows key, even though I did switch from Mod1Mask --> Mod4Mask.

Must be something too obvious to post because I'm not finding anything on it.

#6 2013-09-07 07:11:38

karol
Archivist

Post your config.h. I've just edited mine by hand and it worked. The relevant bit:

/* key definitions */
/*#define MODKEY Mod1Mask*/
#define MODKEY Mod4Mask
#define TAGKEYS(KEY,TAG) \

Board footer