You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-22 04:45:22

yodaz

How to handle two modules with same name

Hi,

I've installed crystalhd-git which add a module under /usr/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/video/broadcom/crystalhd.ko
But there is another module in kernel staging section (/usr/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/staging/crystalhd/crystalhd.ko.gz), which doesn't work, but have the same name, and is loaded in place of the working crystalhd module which is under .../video/broadcom/crystalhd.ko

I've read modprobe.conf manual page, but I didn't see a clean way to handle this. Is there a way to alias a module to a full filesystem path ? Or blacklist a full system path ?

Thanks for your help.

#2 2013-08-22 05:08:25

WonderWoofy

Re: How to handle two modules with same name

I am assuming that they are actually the same module, correct?  By that I don't mean of course that they are exactly the same, but that they apply to the same hardware.  If you use dkms (which I realize there is no package for whith this module) what it does is it removes any module that might be in its place, stores it, and then puts the newly built on there.  Then i runs a depmod to ensure that the system is in sync with these changes.

So maybe you could modify the build sources to install to the staging directory instead of the video directory.  If the original is borked anyway, there is really no harm in losing it (besides, a reinsallation of the kernel would bring it right back).  So I think just modify the PKGBUILD to install to that spot instead.  Then you can simply obliterate the old module before installing (to make sure there is no "file exists in the filesystem" errors).  Alternatively, you could force the installation, but it is typically just a good idea to not be in that habit.  But if the package only provides that one file, then it shouldn't break anything.

Also, I just looked at the PKGBUILD.  It is a bit outdated, so maybe you could put a comment in the AUR page for it.  There is no package() function, and the package does not make use of the new git:// capabilities… nor the pkgver functionality.  So if it needs to be updated anyway, maybe you could make these suggestions to the maintainer.  Oh, and the udev rule should reside in /usr/lib/udev/rules.d, not /etc.  /etc/udev/rules.d should not contain any files managed by pacman, as this is where the administrator configurations/overrides are intended to go.

#3 2013-08-22 19:15:07

yodaz

Re: How to handle two modules with same name

Thanks a lot for your useful advices.

I willl see what I can do to update the PKGBUILD to use the new git capabilities and remove the package function.

Board footer