I am unable to mount a VirtualBox shared folder with virtualbox-guest-modules (latest) and VirtualBox 4.2.16 (latest).
- OS X host: Darwin Hermes.local 13.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.0.0: Sat Aug 17 20:57:00 PDT 2013; root:xnu-24220.127.116.11.1~2/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
- Arch x86_64 guest: Linux arch-in-a-box 3.10.9-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 21 13:49:35 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
- VirtualBox 4.2.16 (latest)
- Installed virtualbox-guest-modules 4.2.16-8 x86_64 (This install has no X (tmux is my WM), so no need for the X-related utilities.)
- Created vboxsf group and added users per VirtualBox - ArchWiki
- Loaded modules without error via modprobe and also added to conf files in /etc/modules-load.d/ so they would be loaded at boot.
- mkdir /mnt/share
- mount -t vboxsf vagrant /mnt/share
- Shared folder mounts just fine.
- I can see folder contents withint /mnt/share.
- Mount fails and dumps an error.
- dmesg | tail shows error: sf_read_super_aux err=-22
- Error -22 corresponds to EINVAL per /usr/include/asm-generic/errno-base.h
- The function sf_read_super_aux is defined in vfsmod.c
- EINVAL is returned if there is no mount info (not in this case) or initializing the backing device fails. This would be dying somewhere in the guts of either bdi_init or bdi_register, since those are the 2 fns that sf_init_backing_dev calls.
I'm having the same problem. Did you figure out a solution?
Everything works fine on my frugalware box, so I am assuming something is wrong when installing the virtualbox-guest-modules as opposed to running the Virtualbox installer.
@amw2320: No, sorry, I did not find a solution.