You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-27 02:41:56

defad01

/boot on USB with Grub2 Luks Support

Hello,

I've searched both the wiki and the forums and found quite a bit of information regarding this.  I just can't piece it together properly.

I want one HDD fully encrypted with /boot on a USB containing Grub2 and the ability to enter a LUKS password.  I'm not familiar enough with Grub and /boot to piece everything together in a working fashion.  I've tried multiple times on a Virtualbox.

Thanks smile

Last edited by defad01 (2013-08-27 05:39:49)

#2 2013-08-27 09:51:30

qinohe

Re: /boot on USB with Grub2 Luks Support

Welcome to Arch, help us help you, really need to provide us with more info, like what commands you used to setup your system.
Don't link to a wiki and say, I used this page, rather tell us what it is you did
Even if this is your first post, I assume you manage to set up Arch in a standard way , I mean without encryption and things like that.

#3 2013-08-27 11:16:14

defad01

Here is a reference link that is exactly what I want to do, other than I'd like it to be on a usb instead.  I'd like the entire /boot and the key to be on the usb key.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=144100

Do I grub-install to the usb, then edit the parameters?  What ext do I format the usb card to?  ext4 then grub install?

I've got arch set up and working per the wiki with an unencrypted /boot on the same hdd, but I'd like to move that partition off of the hdd and put it on to a USB instead, so there is no way to replace my /boot and mess with it.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=167760

Here is something similiar.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-370023.html

#4 2013-08-27 13:45:15

qinohe

Well, I never tried to setup a system like that, but if you followed the second post from hunterthomson, what works and what doesn't?

#5 2013-08-27 13:58:22

alphaniner

I did this a while back and I'm planning on doing it again soon. There's really not much to it beyond copying your existing /boot to the usb and making it bootable. I use syslinux so I can't help you with that last part.

If you have any specific non-grub questions I'll try to answer.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#6 2013-08-27 14:01:08

defad01

alphaniner wrote:

I did this a while back and I'm planning on doing it again soon. There's really not much to it beyond copying your existing /boot to the usb and making it bootable. I use syslinux so I can't help you with that last part.

If you have any specific non-grub questions I'll try to answer.

I don't mind if I don't use Grub.  How do you use syslinux to achieve it?  Do I set up a "normal" LUKS install with the unencrypted /boot on the hdd, literally copy it to usb, change parameters, then delete the unencrypted /boot on the hdd?

#7 2013-08-27 14:12:10

alphaniner

Actually, I did everything during install, ie. /boot was on the USB from the very beginning.

You can test in VBox using a VM with two virtual HDDs: one at 1GB (or whatever) representing the USB and one representing the HDD.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#8 2013-08-27 21:59:48

defad01

alphaniner wrote:

Actually, I did everything during install, ie. /boot was on the USB from the very beginning.

You can test in VBox using a VM with two virtual HDDs: one at 1GB (or whatever) representing the USB and one representing the HDD.

I've set up one VM hdd to be the encrypted drive, but I'm unsure how to install /boot to the other drive then make it reference the encrypted drive to boot.

#9 2013-08-28 15:44:53

alphaniner

I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Installation with /boot on a different drive is nearly identical to installation with /boot on a separate partition. Grok that first before worrying about the encrypted drive.

-Lysander Spooner

Board footer