You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-29 10:20:12

firippusan

[Solved] xorg stuck in tty1 with nouveau driver on dell xps laptop

hi all, struggling with xorg on dell xps with nouveau driver.
Nouveau works under ubuntu LTS so no hardware problem.
Followed the arch wiki for installation and all related links (nouveau, xorg etc.)

startx (and startxfce4): it seems like xserver has started but I'm stuck
in tty1 still seeing the text output of the command; ctrl-c doesn't work and  I need to log into tty2 to be able to kill the xserver.
Had to create an Xorg.conf with Xorg :0 -configure (else xserver couldn't start with fatal error screen not found).

Xorg.log.0 shows no EE errors.

Tried all the tricks read on the wiki, e.g. downgraded the kernel, deleted ~/.xinitrc, deleted xorg.conf (also tried
a minimal xorg.conf with only the screen section), blacklisted  modules i915 and intel_agp, checked there's no vga=
options in my bootloader.  Tried some other tricks found on forum posts to no avail.

Any suggestions highly appreciated.
lspci:
http://pastebin.com/uuGEJL0D
dmesg:
http://pastebin.com/8WVPp2ZB
xorg.conf:
http://pastebin.com/SgbNX9Wn
Xorg.log.0:
http://pastebin.com/8yH2zUHq

Last edited by firippusan (2013-08-30 12:38:11)

#2 2013-08-29 11:32:32

karol
Archivist

Re: [Solved] xorg stuck in tty1 with nouveau driver on dell xps laptop

Xorg.0.log says

[    15.945] Current Operating System: Linux archie 3.9.8-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jun 27 21:37:31 CEST 2013 x86_64

while the current linux version is 3.10.9-1.
Can you update your system first?

#3 2013-08-29 14:53:57

firippusan

That was after I tried downgrading the kernel. I upgraded the kernel (and system) to the latest now, but no difference.

#4 2013-08-29 16:57:55

qinohe

Hi, I had to read your post three times to get...or not.
What are you trying to accomplish? You have a system with 2 video cards.
How did you install Xorg, are you setting up with Bumblebee?, if so what command(s) did you use to do that? Why are you installing nouveau and not nvidia?
Please show your xinitrc
Normally you shouldn't need to setup an Xorg.conf..

#5 2013-08-30 05:19:13

firippusan

qinohe wrote:

Hi, I had to read your post three times to get...or not.
What are you trying to accomplish? You have a system with 2 video cards.
How did you install Xorg, are you setting up with Bumblebee?, if so what command(s) did you use to do that? Why are you installing nouveau and not nvidia?
Please show your xinitrc
Normally you shouldn't need to setup an Xorg.conf..

I'm trying to install Arch on xps laptop.
I'd like to use the nvidia card only, did not use Bumblebee.
Initially tried nvidia driver but didn't work, then read a new post saying currently problems with nvidia driver and latest kernel. So uninstalled nvidia completely and tried nouveau (since nouveau is working on same machine under lubuntu lts).

First tried without a Xorg.conf, got error message "screen not found", so created an Xorg.conf using Xorg :0 -configure and added: BusID       "PCI:1:0:0" as detailed on the wiki, this stopped the error message "screen not found".

#6 2013-08-30 09:33:37

qinohe

firippusan wrote:

I'm trying to install Arch on xps laptop.
I'd like to use the nvidia card only, did not use Bumblebee.

I don't think this possible, if you have two video cards and only want to use the nvidia, you need to have a possibility to disable the intel in your bios.
If this is not possible, then first install the intel driver, then Bumblebee and 'friends'

Initially tried nvidia driver but didn't work, then read a new post saying currently problems with nvidia driver and latest kernel. So uninstalled nvidia completely and tried nouveau (since nouveau is working on same machine under lubuntu lts).

Running a Bumblebee setup here, and I use the nvidia driver, working without 'problems'.

First tried without a Xorg.conf, got error message "screen not found", so created an Xorg.conf using Xorg :0 -configure and added: BusID       "PCI:1:0:0" as detailed on the wiki, this stopped the error message "screen not found".

How did you install Xorg? (show commands used.

#7 2013-08-30 10:31:49

firippusan

I don't think this possible, if you have two video cards and only want to use the nvidia, you need to have a possibility to disable the intel in your bios.
If this is not possible, then first install the intel driver, then Bumblebee and 'friends'

I overlooked that issue. It seems under ubuntu both cards are used together and it works automagically without bumblebee. I was hoping to achieve the same on arch,
given bumblebee's wiki says: "Warning: Bumblebee is still under heavy development! But your help is very welcome."

How did you install Xorg? (show commands used.

Basically as advised in the install guide:
pacman -S xorg-server xorg-server-utils xorg-xinit
pacman -S xorg-twm xorg-xclock xterm

#8 2013-08-30 11:12:21

qinohe

firippusan wrote:

I overlooked that issue. It seems under ubuntu both cards are used together and it works automagically without bumblebee. I was hoping to achieve the same on arch,
given bumblebee's wiki says: "Warning: Bumblebee is still under heavy development! But your help is very welcome."

All Bumblebee is under heavy development, true, but no reason to not install it, I mean Arch is under heavy development too....
As for Ubuntu, I don't use it, and have no plans to do so, but tell me, how are they putting it together?

Just open the Bumblebee wiki, read carefully, and install it.
Take extra care with nvidia, you then need to reinstall Intel too.

Basically as advised in the install guide:
pacman -S xorg-server xorg-server-utils xorg-xinit
pacman -S xorg-twm xorg-xclock xterm

I wanted to know if you installed the Xorg group, but you did it the right way.

#9 2013-08-30 11:51:38

karol
Archivist

#10 2013-08-30 12:40:55

firippusan

ok thanks, installing intel driver and removing xorg.conf made it work; now I'll play around see how to use the nvidia card.

Actually is there any point bothering with the nvidia card, if one never plays games/uses 3d, e.g. do hiresolution vids or flash vids play better
using the nvidia card vs integrated intel?

Board footer