You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-02 03:52:57

jaredwindover

[Resolved] Ath9k driver, machine freezing after brief period on wifi

I'm new to ArchLinux, and having a rough time with the install. I'm able to boot off of my usb, and begin configuring things, but it's not allowing me to be connected to my wifi. It lets me connect, and one attempt actually lasted for about half an hour, but it always eventually freezes and requires a hard reboot. The output to the screen, or dmesg, always contains "DMA failed to connect after 10 ms" and "Could not stop RX", which seem to be fairly common errors with this driver, with no clear solution. More specifically, I'm able to associate, but when I ask for an IP address these errors begin happening, eventually resulting in the system freezing. I'm not even sure how to debug something like this. Any help at all would be very appreciated.

Last edited by jaredwindover (2013-09-04 23:57:26)

#2 2013-09-04 01:14:45

jaredwindover

Re: [Resolved] Ath9k driver, machine freezing after brief period on wifi

I'm not really sure what information I should be including (though there is no doubt information lacking), but here's a followup. I managed to tether through my tablet to get the base packages installed and grub configured, so I'm now booting properly. My shell comes up but when I try to set up a wifi connection the problem persists.
If I type

dmesg -w

in one terminal, switch to another, type

wifi-menu

select my network and enter my password (wpa2), and then watch the output of dmesg, it looks like:

ath: phy0: Failed to stop TX DMA, queues=0x004!
ath: phy0: Failed to stop TX DMA, queues=0x004!
ath: phy0: DMA failed to stop in 10 ms AR_CR=0x00000024 AR_DIAG_SW=0x42000020 DMADBG_7=0x00006040
ath: phy0: Could not stop RX, we could be confusing the DMA engine when we start RX up

I'm really eager to continue experimenting with arch, but it seems somewhat pointless to work on installing a desktop environment if I can't configure a wifi connection. Is it possible that the current version of arch just won't work with my wireless adapter (DWA-552)?  Would I be further ahead to restart with a more beginner friendly version of linux and see if it will support my wireless card? I`m starting to feel like quite a noob

#3 2013-09-04 23:57:02

jaredwindover

Well, here's what I wound up doing. I put ubuntu on a usb and tried to hook up to wifi over that. The computer crashed. So I bought a tp-link usb adapter and have been happy as a clam since.

#4 2013-09-14 00:16:03

pasyr

Yeah, ath9k has been broken for some time. I've heard rumors that it's supposed to be fixed in 3.11, but all I know for sure is that it's still unstable in 3.11rc3. Does anybody have an authoritative link to development on this? There's too much noise in a typical google search.

#5 2013-09-14 01:10:12

progandy

pasyr wrote:

Yeah, ath9k has been broken for some time. I've heard rumors that it's supposed to be fixed in 3.11, but all I know for sure is that it's still unstable in 3.11rc3. Does anybody have an authoritative link to development on this? There's too much noise in a typical google search.

I guess you should consult the mailing list.
https://lists.ath9k.org/pipermail/ath9k-devel/
https://lists.ath9k.org/pipermail/ath9k … 11774.html
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49201
Edit: It seems the situation has improved, but the problem(s) is/are not completely solved.

Last edited by progandy (2013-09-14 01:21:16)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

Board footer