You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-02 20:29:48

ezzetabi

Resize a partition with a zfs volume in it

As I mentioned in another thread I have some problem with hibernate
and I suspect there is a problem with swap on zfs.

So I was wondering, it is possible to resize the partition I have  the
zfs volumes on to add a real swap partition?
Do anyone tried something similar?

#2 2013-09-06 20:35:18

R81Z3

Re: Resize a partition with a zfs volume in it

In my opinion ZFS likes disks, so using partitions is asking for problems, I am no ZFS expert but ZFS loves memory, and if your system does not have much say less then 8gb you are asking for problems. Also most folks who are serious about ZFS will use ECC memory as that provides data integrity as if your memory does errors ZFS can't fix it but assumes it is correct. Like they say garbage in garbage out. I have had ZFS on a BSD system and it works had no issues but it was a complete disk, and had at least 8gb of memory but I made sure I had backups of important files just to avoid the CRC errors that bad memory can give you.

You an add and remove pools but ZFS assumes a pool is a disk, and you have to see the documentation for how to do it properly. But I would just use another disk and solve the problem disks are cheap and honestly ZFS loves disks not partitions.

R81Z3

Security +, Linux +, LPIC 1, still learning!

#3 2013-09-07 02:15:27

ndowens04

R81Z3 wrote:

In my opinion ZFS likes disks, so using partitions is asking for problems, I am no ZFS expert but ZFS loves memory, and if your system does not have much say less then 8gb you are asking for problems. Also most folks who are serious about ZFS will use ECC memory as that provides data integrity as if your memory does errors ZFS can't fix it but assumes it is correct. Like they say garbage in garbage out. I have had ZFS on a BSD system and it works had no issues but it was a complete disk, and had at least 8gb of memory but I made sure I had backups of important files just to avoid the CRC errors that bad memory can give you.

You an add and remove pools but ZFS assumes a pool is a disk, and you have to see the documentation for how to do it properly. But I would just use another disk and solve the problem disks are cheap and honestly ZFS loves disks not partitions.

I have a roughly 2g ram system and I am running into no problems. Not lagging either, I am having better expierence with ZFS than other FS's. To the OP, I have read somewhere about adding another disk and ZFS will expand and include that disk as well, but you would need to look into that. I am no ZFS expert by no means. I just enjoy using it.

Also I have read that ZFS doesn't support seperate partitions for swap, I use a ZFS created swap volume.

Last edited by ndowens04 (2013-09-07 02:16:23)

ArchLinux + ZFS

#4 2013-09-09 06:52:17

ezzetabi

Sorry guys, probably I was not clear. I need to resize a partition with a zpool on it to make space to a new partition.

I know zfs can use disks directly and it might need lots of ram if you enable certain features like deduplication; but it was not the point of the thread. About using a zfs volume I used that a for a while, but I noticed that the system hangs when actually need lots of swap like in hibernation.

Last edited by ezzetabi (2013-09-09 06:53:21)

Board footer