You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-03 04:29:36

IsaacG

GRUB Troubles

TL;DR

I got a disk I can boot when I connect it to one machine but on the other I get to a screen showing "GRUB " and it freezes there.
GRUB is configured with a --fs-uuid. Not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?

grub.cfg file: http://sprunge.us/VKAd

Longer version: this drive is/was the main drive from my Pentium 3 server. The box booted fine ~110 days ago. There was a blackout. The box didn't boot up afterwards. Somehow the partition table was showing the first partition (my /boot)  started at sector 1 instead of the more regular 2048. The server wasn't/isn't USB booting for some reason. I pulled the drive and connected it to my desktop (with a PATA/SATA converter.) Fixed the partition table up. Reinstalled the kernel and GRUB and did the grub-install and grub-mkconfig. The desktop can now boot from the drive just fine. Changed hd1 in the grub.cfg's hints to hd0. The server won't boot. It shows "GRUB " in the top left corner and hangs there.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 2013-09-03 05:53:09

cookies

Re: GRUB Troubles

It sounds like grub can't find the right partition. Chrooting into your server from the live cd and reinstalling grub should fix that.

#3 2013-09-03 06:14:22

IsaacG

Any reason running grub-install from the server vs desktop should be different?
I'm hoping to get my hands on a CD-R tomorrow so I can try LiveCD booting soon.

#4 2013-09-03 13:31:01

cookies

Different hardware and different connectivity, that might cause grub to build the "wrong" config (right for the desktop but wrong for the server). Also, changing the hd hints might have screwed it up (I always forget how that works, so I just let grub do its thing).

#5 2013-09-07 06:46:13

cym13

I have exactly the same error message, not on a server but on a laptop ; installation by live-USB. Grub was not configured with --fs-uuid, I basically followed the instructions of the wiki (GPT part) to install grub without any error.

I added the debug flag (set debug=all) in grub.cfg with no effect.

The system has not boot once yet though it works fine in chroot so it really is a grub issue, but I don't have a clue about what to try now.

[edit] Problem solved for me.
I had to follow this instructions : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … _partition but without forgetting to create a separate partition for grub. That's all, I hope it may help.

Last edited by cym13 (2013-09-07 11:46:05)

Board footer