You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-05 21:34:01

davidjosepha

Bad performance with open source drivers and 6970

I've been having trouble with my 6970 using the open source drivers. Whenever I try to move a window, it starts lagging in weird ways (starts moving very slowly, then speeds up quickly). Video playback is fine. Any ideas on what it could be? Where to start?

I know I'm not providing very many details but I don't know what would be helpful--please request specific pieces of information you need, if necessary.

#2 2013-09-05 22:04:12

clfarron4
Website

Re: Bad performance with open source drivers and 6970

That is not very much data for us to work with...

My reaction is:
1) what kernel version are you using?
2) what DE/WM are you using?
3) are you using any funky desktop effects/compositing?

EDIT: I would have thought using AMD Catalyst would be better with an AMD Radeon 6970, or am I mistaken?

Last edited by clfarron4 (2013-09-05 22:42:47)

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#3 2013-09-05 23:23:24

davidjosepha

clfarron4 wrote:

That is not very much data for us to work with...

My reaction is:
1) what kernel version are you using?
2) what DE/WM are you using?
3) are you using any funky desktop effects/compositing?

EDIT: I would have thought using AMD Catalyst would be better with an AMD Radeon 6970, or am I mistaken?

By kernel do you mean this? x86_64 Linux 3.10.10-1-ARCH

I'm using dwm

Not as far as I know, which probably means no.

Resizing windows and moving them is mainly where I get problems, although I think I've experienced graphical issues elsewhere at times. Video works fine.

Oh, and I tried using the Catalyst drivers but I couldn't get fglrx to load so I went back to the open ones.

Last edited by davidjosepha (2013-09-05 23:25:54)

#4 2013-09-06 14:10:09

clfarron4
Website

Hmm... I have no experience with the Radeon drivers or dwm so I can't say anything there...

When you were trying Catalyst, did you try packages other than the default catalyst package (like catalyst-hook or catalyst-generator), set them up as given in the Wiki and match the versions of X server to the version number of the Catalyst you were using?

The default catalyst package provides modules built against the ones of Vi0L0's machine, where the others provide tools to build them for your kernel(s).

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#5 2013-09-07 05:09:33

davidjosepha

clfarron4 wrote:

Hmm... I have no experience with the Radeon drivers or dwm so I can't say anything there...

When you were trying Catalyst, did you try packages other than the default catalyst package (like catalyst-hook or catalyst-generator), set them up as given in the Wiki and match the versions of X server to the version number of the Catalyst you were using?

The default catalyst package provides modules built against the ones of Vi0L0's machine, where the others provide tools to build them for your kernel(s).

Thanks for your help. I had tried both catalyst and catalyst-generator and hadn't been able to get them to work, but I just tried one more time with catalyst-hook and it worked. Maybe it was something with catalyst-hook, or maybe I just hadn't followed instructions properly the first time around, but it's working!

I was just wondering, when I use the catalyst drivers, my screen resolution doesn't switch to 1920x1080 till I startx, whereas with the open source drivers, I get my full resolution before the login prompt comes up--is there a way I can get 1080p in the terminal before starting x? I often spend a bit of time there before starting my wm and it's much nicer at a reasonable resolution.

Board footer