You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-09 19:48:38

Roken

LXDM starting on TTY1

lxdm updated very recently (the past two or three days), and tonight is the first ocassion I've had to switch to a TTY. Imagine my surprise when X was on TTY1 by default. Is this new behaviour, or have I just missed it because I continued to use my old lxdm.conf?

It was easy enough to fix and get it back on TTY7, but I don't recall any announcement about a change of default behaviour.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#2 2013-09-09 19:56:32

karol
Archivist

#3 2013-09-09 22:56:46

cecar

Re: LXDM starting on TTY1

For me X is on tty7 but lxdm blocks tty1 so i dont have a login prompt. Can it be fixed?

#4 2013-09-10 00:21:03

WonderWoofy

cecar wrote:

For me X is on tty7 but lxdm blocks tty1 so i dont have a login prompt. Can it be fixed?

See how it was done before maybe?  If you just take a look at the service file for lxdm, it is pretty self explanatory why getty@tty1.service is not starting.  There is a conflicts line there.  I guess you could always check out the changes on svntogit to see what is different.  From the near nothing I know about display-manager confguration, I would guess that lxdm can be made to start on the desired tty from a configuration file, and then you simple have to ensure that there is no mention of getty@tty1 in the Conflicts= of the service file and you're done.

#5 2013-09-10 03:41:23

ewaller
Administrator

Roken wrote:

lImagine my surprise when X was on TTY1 by default. Is this new behaviour, or have I just missed it because I continued to use my old lxdm.conf?

It was easy enough to fix and get it back on TTY7, but I don't recall any announcement about a change of default behaviour.

X is now on whichever TTY you logged into.  You could log into TTY1, start X, then switch to TTY2, log into a console.  Now you have X on TTY1 and a console on TTY2.  Go ahead and start X on TTY2; you can still switch to TTY3..... Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2013-09-10 04:06:56

WonderWoofy

ewaller wrote:

X is now on whichever TTY you logged into.  You could log into TTY1, start X, then switch to TTY2, log into a console.  Now you have X on TTY1 and a console on TTY2.  Go ahead and start X on TTY2; you can still switch to TTY3..... Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I think the OP is speaking about the actual LXDM display manager starting on TTY1.  I looked at what the provided lxdm.service provided before and after the most recent update, and indeed it now seems as though the conflict with getty@tty1 is new. 

Still, I fail to see why this would be such a great concern.  If anyone feels as though they still need 6 TTYs, that can be arranged still with logind.conf.  That way, you will then have only the display-manager.service starting on boot, and then any TTY you want to use will be generated on access.  Otherwise, you have the display-manager.service and getty@tty1.service starting on boot, one of which most users are likely not to really use very much.

#7 2013-09-10 10:01:13

cecar

It is an intended change apparently.

If you want to revert the original behavior, then comment out the 'arg=/usr/bin/X -background vt1' line in lxdm.conf, and copy the file /usr/lib/systemd/system/lxdm.service to /etc/systemd/system/lxdm.service, and remove 'getty@tty1.service' from 'Conflicts=' and 'After=' lines in the copied file.

Board footer