You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-11 08:48:06

x2b

[Solved] systemd fails to start spawning /bin/plymouth

Hello all,

I currently can't get my system to boot up, systemd hangs and after a while enters emergency mode.

journalctl -xb

show the following error:

systemd[257]: Failed at step EXEC spwaning /bin/plymouth:
-- Subject: Process /bin/plymouth could not be executed
.. The process /bin/plymouth could not be executed and failed.
--
-- The error number returned while executing this process is 2.

I am not sure what to make of this, as far as I know plymouth is some splash screen utility which I have never installed. I also can't find any corresponding .service files. I also tried appending plymouth.enable=0 to the kernel command line, to no effect. Does anyone know this problem (since my hardware is currently in a rather shaky state I would not rule out some related error)?

Last edited by x2b (2013-09-11 17:55:32)

#2 2013-09-11 13:47:30

cookies

Re: [Solved] systemd fails to start spawning /bin/plymouth

x2b wrote:

I am not sure what to make of this, as far as I know plymouth is some splash screen utility which I have never installed.

Yes, that's plymouth.

I also can't find any corresponding .service files. I also tried appending plymouth.enable=0 to the kernel command line, to no effect. Does anyone know this problem (since my hardware is currently in a rather shaky state I would not rule out some related error)?

Might have something to do with https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/31031 so plymouth should not be the problem.

Edit: I just checked my journal and I could not find any plymouth related messages in there, but I remember seeing those before, too (must have been before february 20th, that's as far back as my journal goes). When did you do your last update?

Last edited by cookies (2013-09-11 13:58:43)

#3 2013-09-11 15:17:19

x2b

Well, my system should be pretty much up to date, I performed a system update no longer than 4 days ago. Interesting bug report though. It could either be a .service file which has some WantedBy section that is referencing plymouth or an insane generator. Maybe I can figure this one out.

#4 2013-09-11 15:18:53

WonderWoofy

You can just use systemctl to mask whatever plymouth crap is giving you errors.

#5 2013-09-11 17:55:15

x2b

Ok, I just found out that the true reason why my system wasn't booting up was a faulty hard disk. The plymouth error seems to be treiggered as soon as I log into the emergency console. Not exactly reassuring though

Board footer