You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-11 12:37:10

lesto

[SOLVED]first install hang afert disck check

Hello,
after installing the base system with pacstrap, i found out at least one file "/etc/locale.conf" was mising.
I continued on the installation without any problem, but at reboot, grub say something abount a missing file (the error is too fast to be read), then it start normally, i launch the arch (or arch failsafe), put after the filesystem check it hangs forever.

Any help to find out what is going on?

Last edited by lesto (2013-09-11 22:01:54)

#2 2013-09-11 13:22:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED]first install hang afert disck check

First, you must create locale.conf yourself - there are steps for this in both the Beginner's Guide and the Installation Guide.  But even if you didn't it would not lead to anything like what you describe.

That said, what you describe isn't clear at all.  You may need to chroot to fix things up, and that would give you the chance to check logs for that error message that goes by to fast.

Which filesystem check(s) hang?

Have you removed any q or quiet flags from your kernel line?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-09-11 22:01:43

lesto

sorry, i was in the lab from a phone, didn't read the beginners guide, but the normal guide say "Uncomment the selected locale in /etc/locale.gen and generate it with locale-gen. "

after adding "verbose" as kernel parameter, i found out it was a problem with video driver (i didn't installed anything video related, just "pacstrap base"), and it was from something ati and VESA. I have ATI at home and whed i had to install propritary driver had to add "nomeset" as kernel parameter.
Maybe because that is a rack server and its BIOS is playng some trick somewhere...

BTW thank you anyway for the tip smile

#4 2013-09-11 23:49:47

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Glad the real issue is sorted.

FYI

installation guide wrote:

- Uncomment the selected locale in /etc/locale.gen and generate it with locale-gen.
- Set locale preferences in /etc/locale.conf.

That line in the guide links to the page with more detauls on what to put into locale.conf.  I've missed that step myself on a few installs; I think it's just to easy to read over thinking it's the same as the previous one.

The only issue that that will cause though will be in printing utf characters (I think).

Last edited by Trilby (2013-09-11 23:50:02)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer