You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-12 13:25:55

Schwefelsaeure

[SOLVED] NetworkManager - nm-applet runs but no icon visible

Hi,

I use Razor-qt as DE, and I have a problem with NetworkManager: NetworkManager works fine (connects to networks etc.) and nm-applet is loaded but no icon is visible in the system tray. See the following picture (the red rectangle indicates the invisible icon).

NetworkManager no icon

I installed the following packages:

• network-manager-applet

• networkmanager

• networkmanager-openconnect

I activated NetworkManager via systemctl enable NetworkManager.service. nm-applet is loaded automatically due to /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop.

The strange thing is that I saw the icon when I started nm-applet via terminal for the very first time.

Maybe someone has a hint what's going wrong.

Thank you.

Last edited by Schwefelsaeure (2013-09-13 22:19:32)

#2 2013-09-12 13:28:59

Active Build

Re: [SOLVED] NetworkManager - nm-applet runs but no icon visible

Have you tried to change your icon theme and restart the "applet" after doing so?

[ github ]

#3 2013-09-12 15:20:42

Schwefelsaeure

Changed icon theme from Oxygen to GNOME in Razor-qt's configuration menu and restarted nm-applet via terminal but it didn't help.

nm-applet produces the following output:

** (nm-applet:951): WARNING **: Error connecting to ModemManager: Fehler beim Aufruf von StartServiceByName für org.freedesktop.ModemManager1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.LoadFailed: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service' for details.

Applet appears in system tray after 'applet now embedded in the notification area' but it has no icon.

I guess the warning is not so important because I do not use any modem services via NetworkManager.

#4 2013-09-12 18:28:25

sqlpython

^ The missing icon for net-applet has reared it head in many distros.

Don't know what version of network-manager-applet you are running but...........
One solution has been to install the net-applet version network-manager-applet-gtk2 0.9.8.2-1  last Updated 7/08/2013
I am currently running 0.9.6.4  (works fine)

As I am from the great unwashed hoards, I lowered my head and did not gaze directly upon the Arch as I posted

#5 2013-09-13 22:19:13

Schwefelsaeure

Oh, thank you. Now, I also use network-manager-applet-gtk2 0.9.8.2-1 and it works fine:

NetworkManager with working icon

BTW: I used network-manager-applet 0.9.8.2-1 before.

Board footer