You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-13 16:41:46

MisterAnderson

Is this SD card dead?

I took my micro sd card out of my acekard and put it in my phone (galaxy note 2) to copy a file to the phone, to then copy to another card. I put the card back in my acekard and it was working ok but the file i copied (not wrote, just read) is now detected but corrupt. Then I put it in the computer and the computer wants to format the card, but fails. It can't even detect the card's capacity of 4GB.

Under arch the card is detected but anything like fdisk /dev/sdd
fails with and input/output error. But the card is working fine in the bloody phone still. I can format and read/write happily in the phone. I cofirmed by formatting the card, putting it in the acekard and getting the system files missing error, then putting it back in the phone and copying everything back on to it and putting it back in the acekard and it working...

Any ideas what I should do? I'm gonna replace the card anyway but if I can get it to work until then I'd be happy.

D:

#2 2013-09-13 17:58:44

bjornoslav

Re: Is this SD card dead?

Please post dmesg output when you insert the SD card into the computer where Arch is running.

asus ux303la, core i5@1.6ghz, 8 gb ram, 500gb hdd, hd4400 gpu, crux x64 with openbox

#3 2013-09-13 18:58:12

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

The phone probably still has important things stored in its cache that should be written to the card, try putting the card in the phone and turning the phone off with the card inserted (unless you know some way to tell the phone to unmount the card).

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#4 2013-09-14 05:20:57

MisterAnderson

No output from dmesg when insterting and removing the card. The only dmesg output is having the card inserted at boot then removing it, it says size of /dev/sdd changed from 4294967296 to 0 (it's in a card reader).

In android 4.0 and further you can turn off phone to remove, or in settings > storage you can safely remove. I've tried both and neither has fixed it. It's one of the weirdest errors I've had because the card just works perfectly in the phone and acekard and in linux (and windows) it fails to read at all... Not even the capacity is reported.

EDIT: I've never removed the card unsafely from the phone, always ejected it properly.

Last edited by MisterAnderson (2013-09-14 05:21:43)

D:

#5 2013-09-14 05:35:27

WonderWoofy

So if it is an acekard and a phone, I am assuming that it must be microSD.  Are you using some kind of a converter?  Can you give some detail about how you are actually attaching this to your computer?  Are they different computers (the Linux and Windows)?  Have you tried a different computer?  Have you tried a different adapter?

#6 2013-09-25 11:12:23

MisterAnderson

WonderWoofy, I did mention in the first sentence of the first post it's micro sd.

I'm using a micro to standard sd adapter for the computer, going into a usb card reader. It's one of the ones that fits several kinds and plugs into the usb headers on the board and mounts in the old floppy slot on the case. I also tried on a laptop with a built in sd card reader.

I've tried different computers, different OS's on each, with different adapters that work with another card I have.

I can barely believe my phone and acekard are happily reading it when the computers are giving me the old "computer says no".

D:

Board footer