You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-14 12:06:01

finalizer

Nouveau crashes on NV34 [FX 5500] when gnome-shell is used

Hi,

I've a fresh Arch i686 system installed on a machine with NV34 [NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500] AGP videocard. It works properly with xfce4 but crashes with GNOME 3.8. At the beginning it starts working very slow (and I see more than 100% CPU consumed by gnome-shell) and then it crashes with an error message: "failed to idle channel 0xcccc0000". I had seen this error previously when tried to install Linux Mint 15 with Cinnamon UI that is also gnome-shell based. And according to Google this is a known issue.

I tried to use the latest mesa-git and fx86-video-nouveau-git AUR packages. I used pacaur ("pacaur -S <packname>" command) to build and install them. Unfortunatelly this didn't help. I've noticed that the nouveau linux kernel module wasn't updated. Maybe I need to update it separately? What should I do for that? Install linux-mainline? Will it have any influence to the fx86-video-nouveau-git package?

Is there any workaround? The proprietary nvidia-173xx driver doesn't work too. It's very slow with GNOME and there are many artifacts on the screen. Nvidia will never fix it. Everything related to Nvidia is buggy, not supported, neglected.

Board footer