You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-16 00:07:46

packagegoods

can't get wireless to work on my Lenovo Y500

i can get on the internet using wifi-menu wlp3s0, picking my ssid and pw. i also followed the directions for wpa_supplicant.

ip link wlan0 up : gives me error device not found wlan0.  If i go to the gui in xfce to network connections if i hit add new, everything is greyed out.

i have an intel centrino 2230 bgn. i have went to a website off the wiki and downloaded the tar ball , extracted and copied all the ucode's to /lib/firmware
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi

my confusion is, it works i can get online but i have to redo everything after a reboot. does wlp3s0 replace wlan0, or do i have to get that wlan0 recognized for this to work?

Also to save space on the forum, i have another issue where i messed up and used mesa instead of the driver for my nvidia gt750, when i try to install the new one i get this error

[root@archbox iceman]# pacman -S nvidia-304xx
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: nvidia-304xx-utils and mesa-libgl are in conflict (libgl). Remove mesa-libgl? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: ati-dri: requires mesa-libgl=9.2.0
:: glamor-egl: requires mesa-libgl
:: intel-dri: requires mesa-libgl=9.2.0
:: nouveau-dri: requires mesa-libgl=9.2.0

Last edited by packagegoods (2013-09-16 00:10:32)

#2 2013-09-16 00:16:49

karol
Archivist

Re: can't get wireless to work on my Lenovo Y500

Did you install all the *-dri packages? Why?? Di you run 'pacman -S xorg'? If so, remove the whole xorg group and install only the packages you need.
Are you sure you should be using 'nvidia-304xx' instead of 'nvidia'?

#3 2013-09-16 00:33:43

packagegoods

yes i installed xorg, the last two times i practiced on a VM i had to to get GUI to work. Just did it out of habit i guess hmm

#4 2013-09-16 00:35:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Posting two completely unrelated issues in the same thread does not save space, it just adds confusion.  I was going to help with the wireless issue, but I was baffled by Karol's response until I reread the OP and saw that Karol was addressing the other entirely unrelated issue.

Decide which you want to work on in this thread.

For the wireless, you just need to use your actual interface name as it is not wlan0.  `ip a` will show what it is.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer