You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-19 14:19:58

nfisher.sr

pepper flash not loading in chrome

I have exhausted my google-fu on this issue, which I also had in other Linux distros. The issue is that pepper flash doesn't show up in the list of plugins in chrome://plugins at all, no errors when chrome is started from a terminal, and no indication that anyone else seems affected by the problem based on poring over the search results for a stupid amount of time.

My system is old. It's a Compaq based on an Asus A7VBX-LA motherboard. I have an Nvidia Riva TNT2 graphics card. System memory is 512MB.

I really hate flash in any form. I installed gnash a while back just so my daughter could watch youtube videos, but now she wants to be able to use sites like Hulu and no combination of gnash or adobe flash with any browser seems to work, so I thought I'd try chrome with pepper-flash. This same thing happened in Debian Jesse with this hardware. My best guess right now is that the software is laughing at my hardware, but I wish it would do it to my face an at least print a message to the terminal that my hardware isn't capable of using the plugin.

#2 2013-09-19 15:23:09

Vrantheo

Re: pepper flash not loading in chrome

Pepper Flash is indeed the most well-maintained Flash implementation on Linux now. Too bad only Chrome is willing to support it at the moment.

I'm simply using the google-chrome-dev package from AUR, which is natively bundled with Pepper Flash. I wonder if you were having that separate Pepper Flash package instead and had some conflicts…

#3 2013-09-19 15:54:55

nfisher.sr

I don't have adobe flash installed at all. I can try uninstalling gnash and see if it makes a difference, but I'm not really hopeful based on past experience.

#4 2013-09-20 14:32:28

nfisher.sr

No joy, I removed gnash-gtk and gnash-common, started with a new profile and still no trace of pepper-flash in google-chrome.

#5 2013-09-20 15:29:33

cookies

You could try chromium + chromium-pepper-flash-stable (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=pepper+flash).

#6 2013-09-20 17:32:03

nfisher.sr

I guess I could, but I have reservations about that combination working if chrome + pepper flash doesn't. Nevertheless, might be worth a shot.

#7 2013-10-07 11:11:40

dojero

I don't think it's your hardware. I'm having the same problem with an Asus EEE 1005 (netbook). I have the updated version of Chromium (30.1) and the chromium-pepper-stable installed (and I confirmed that the so file is there). But Chromium doesn't see the plugin. It sees the Adobe Flash plugin, which I've disabled (but use with Firefox-Nightly, so I don't want to uninstall it).

The Wiki says simply disable one and enable the other. It offers the possibility of installing Iron (a Chrome clone) and running it from the command line in order to invoke Pepper Flash, but it seems not to imagine that the plugin won't be visible in Chromium.

I'd keep working on this if I had any ideas, but I don't. I'll just hope that updated versions of the plugin and Chromium work at some point.

#8 2013-11-19 06:14:03

KlipperKyle

Does /etc/chromium/default look like this?

# Default settings for chromium. This file is sourced by /usr/bin/chromium

# Options to pass to chromium
CHROMIUM_FLAGS=" --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=11.9.900.152"

There might be another config file like that in $HOME/.config/chromium/ somewhere.

I have chromium installed (from extra) along with chromium-pepper-flash-stable installed from the AUR.

#9 2013-11-19 07:00:47

itman

@nfisher.sr: please have a look at the pluginpage in chrome/chromium and compare the version nr of flash with what is installed on your box.

chromium:

Adobe Flash Player (2 files) - Version: 11.9.900.117
Shockwave Flash 11.9 r900

firefox:

Shockwave Flash

Datei: libflashplayer.so
    Pfad: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    Version: 11,2,202,327
    Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202

#10 2014-05-29 18:42:08

disarmer

I had the same problem, because environment variable CHROMIUM_USER_FLAGS was set in my /etc/profile. When I ran "CHROMIUM_USER_FLAGS= chromium" pepper flash plugin appeared in plugins list.

#11 2014-05-30 06:55:14

orschiro
Website

Vrantheo wrote:

Pepper Flash is indeed the most well-maintained Flash implementation on Linux now. Too bad only Chrome is willing to support it at the moment.

I'm simply using the google-chrome-dev package from AUR, which is natively bundled with Pepper Flash. I wonder if you were having that separate Pepper Flash package instead and had some conflicts…

Not true. You can install freshplayer to have Flash support in Firefox! It is basically a wrapper for Pepper Flash and works extremely nice on my system.

Last edited by orschiro (2014-05-30 06:55:49)

Board footer