You are not logged in.

#26 2005-12-12 21:44:06

arooaroo
Website

Re: Finish 7.1 - now!

cactus wrote:

frugalware uses pacman too..
though I would never use it.. what a terrible name for a distribution..
lol

They've also got Jacman working on Frugal! Good on 'em smile </plug>

Back on topic though... I hope this doesn't descend into a kinda devs vs users conflict. Time to chill, methinks. I see both sides of the story, and I'm leaning to Judd's view - although I'd personally be a little more diplomatic.

The way I see Arch is that it's not a user-driven distro. It's the devs' toy. They just happen to release it to the world incase others want it. It turns out that others do - a lot. Yet, it's still their baby and they'll do what they want, when they want.  Because I've always felt like this, I've never been too disappointed.   If and when Arch drifts away from my needs, I'll drift too. Whilst it fits, I'll stick. I'll throw out a suggestion incase it's useful.

I think it's fair to say that if you want a more touchy-feely, "what can I do for you?" kinda distro, you're in the wrong place. That said, it's not an unreasonable expectation, either.

#27 2005-12-12 22:02:13

paranoos

some people are too negative.

don't whine and complain. make a contribution. test 0.7.1 and report any problems. REPORT them. don't talk about them in the forum.

i just installed arch using the 0.6 cd yesterday, without too many headaches. i don't want to hear another complaint about 0.7 being completely busted.

and if you're thinking of switching distros, don't tell everyone. i don't care.

children whine and complain and give idle threats. adults help. be adults.

#28 2005-12-12 22:05:15

Snarkout

Well, for my part, I certainly never meant to offend or demand.  Sorry if my post contributed in any way to piling on.  If I end up running arch full time, I'll certainly contribute.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#29 2005-12-12 22:08:49

lucke

You just didn't bring the devs enough shrubberies.

Try launching a decent release without a decent amount of shrubberies yourself, pft.

#30 2005-12-12 22:41:02

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Hmmm, ok this thread has potential to get out of hand fast.  As it stands, people have lodged their complaints, and Judd has responded.

We can all admit that everyone is being a bit hard-edged in this thread, so I'm locking it.

#31 2005-12-12 23:16:05

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Heh.  Well, I'm going to abuse my admin privileges and get a last word in.  Sorry Phrak.

My apologies for being less than characteristically diplomatic.  I guess I'm just as frustrated as you guys about some things. 

I must say, it's an interesting perspective, being a developer of a decent-sized open source project.  You've all been users, but a lot of you have never been developers.  It's an enlightening side of the coin.

Anyway, I've asked the doc guys for any changes they've made so far.  I'll finish the rest myself when I can.  Most changes are just additions, like the initrd/raid stuff.  For those of who think the 0.7 install is broken, please use 0.7.1-pre1.  You'll find it on ftp.archlinux.org.

Again, sorry for the outburst.  Let's chalk it up to a culmination of stress over community pressure, and a case of the mondays.

#32 2005-12-12 23:25:07

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

apeiro wrote:

and a case of the mondays.

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

#33 2005-12-13 13:16:11

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website