You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-22 15:38:18

snorfalorpagus

First boot after install not reaching login prompt

Hello,

I'm trying to install Arch Linux for the first time, on a MacBook Pro 1,1 (2006). I have followed the instructions in the Installation Guide, and have got as far as the first reboot into the newly installed system.

The system boots to a certain point, but stops at "[  OK  ] Started Load/Save Random Seed.". It doesn't get as far as a login prompt, but there aren't any obvious errors/failures either.

I'm loading the kernel and initrd directly from rEFInd, rather than via GRUB. I think that's working fine though - otherwise I wouldn't be getting as far as I am.

I did have to modify /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, adding MODULES="ahci btrfs" to recognise my internal hard disks and the btrfs (which the root filesystem is on).

I have no problems booting from the LiveUSB, which inits fine and starts the login service correctly.

I'm coming to Arch Linux from Gentoo linux (after getting sick of waiting days for things to compile), so I'm not a complete newbie. Still, I was hoping installing Arch would be easier than this...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 2013-09-22 15:51:01

ewaller
Administrator

Re: First boot after install not reaching login prompt

Just a guess.  Is it possible that there had been a log in prompt that was overwritten or scrolled off screen by, what sounds like, a rather verbose status output.  (I usually use the --quiet switch on the kernel command line) 

Regardless, what happens if, after it stops, you just press return?  What happens if you switch to a second tty, such as tty02, by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F2 ?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-09-22 16:23:38

snorfalorpagus

ewaller wrote:

Just a guess.  Is it possible that there had been a log in prompt that was overwritten or scrolled off screen by, what sounds like, a rather verbose status output.  (I usually use the --quiet switch on the kernel command line) 

Regardless, what happens if, after it stops, you just press return?  What happens if you switch to a second tty, such as tty02, by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F2 ?

Pressing return does nothing, nor does trying to switch to another tty.

I've uploaded a video of the boot here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPsndlxfPHU

If I boot with the "quiet" kernel argument, I get the following messages:

pcieph 0000:00:1c.2:pcie04: pci_hp_register failed with error -16
i8042: No controller found
Scanning for Btrfs filesystems
failed to open /dev/sr0: No medium found
Unable to load isight firmware
coretemp: Errata AE18 not fixed, update BIOS or microcode of the CPU!
coretemp: Errata AE18 not fixed, update BIOS or microcode of the CPU!

At the end of these messages the cursor _ stops flashing - this maybe indicates a crash, rather than it just waiting for something?

#4 2013-09-22 16:28:26

karol
Archivist

#5 2013-09-22 17:16:49

snorfalorpagus

That does look to be the same error message. However, there is no mention of not being able to boot the system because of this.

#6 2013-09-22 17:53:27

snorfalorpagus

I've just tried reinstalling the system using ext4 instead of btrfs for the root partition. The init messages seem to get a bit further:

[  OK  ] Reached target Login Prompts
[  OK  ] Reached target Multi-User system

I would have expected a login prompt at this point, but no luck. Again, this makes me suspect that it's crashing pretty hard behind the scenes.

#7 2013-09-28 02:05:07

cfr

Whether it affects boot might depend on your system, though.

In any case, according to that thread, the bug is fixed in the 3.11.2-1 kernel. If that's correct, the easy way to check is to upgrade your system and see if you still get the error. If you do, either it is a different problem or 3.11.2-1 doesn't really fix that bug.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#8 2013-09-28 13:45:39

freaxtux

I'm pretty sure that I'm suffering from the same problem. My kernel is 3.10.11-2 but still not working.
My computer stops at the exact "[  OK  ] Started Load/Save Random Seed" message.
when used with --quiet it says "uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2:init 0000:00:1d.2 fail, -16"
(FYI, lspci says 00:1d.2 is a usb port.)

Luckily, I've found a workaround; use the kernel from installation media temporarily.

1. boot from your installation media and mount your / and /boot under /mnt

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot

(/dev/sda1 as /boot and /dev/sda2 as /(root))

2. copy the kernel from the media to /boot.

cp /run/archiso/bootmnt/arch/boot/(i686 or x86-64)/vmlinuz /mnt/boot/vmlinuz_tmp

if there arn't one, find where your media is mounted with lsblk and search for yourself.

3. generate an initial ramdisk.

mkinitcpio -c /mnt/etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /mnt/boot/initramfs_tmp.img

4. copy kernel modules for the temporary kernel

cp /lib/modules/* /mnt/lib/modules/

5. add a list for temporary kernel and ramdisk in your bootloader.
example for syslinux:

LABEL arch-tmp
	MENU LABEL Arch Linux-tmp
	LINUX ../vmlinuz_tmp
	APPEND root=/dev/sda2 rw
	INITRD ../initramfs_tmp.img

(/dev/sda2 as /(root))

hope you can get your system work and kernel developers find what the problem is.
good luck!

Last edited by freaxtux (2013-09-28 13:51:42)

Board footer