You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-23 19:15:29

hitcoder

No sound in arch linux

Hi all, I have tried for days, attempting to get sound working in arch linux. I have installed Alsa + Pulseaudio and OSS, but none have worked.
I am using KDE and had come across problems in the past, like internet problems after setup, but I resolved those problems.
I have also googled and googled info on "no sound in arch linux" and things similar to that, but no matter what results I find, nothing works.

Thanks in advance

~~hitcoder~~

#2 2013-09-23 19:41:18

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: No sound in arch linux

As it stands, there is no information in your post that would help someone trying to assist you.
Details about your sound card, what sound system you currently have installed and any config for it, etc.

Moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2013-09-23 20:20:40

hitcoder

My audio device is just listed as "High definition audio device" on windows, I didn't say this, because I didn't think it'd be very helpful. How do I find out what it is through linux?

#4 2013-09-23 20:35:39

brebs

Useful debugging info:

wget -O alsa-info.sh http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh
bash alsa-info.sh --upload

Then show us the URL that the script shows at the end.

#5 2013-09-23 21:08:19

ewaller
Administrator

hitcoder wrote:

My audio device is just listed as "High definition audio device" on windows, I didn't say this, because I didn't think it'd be very helpful. How do I find out what it is through linux?

Also, please post the output of:
lspci -nn

Thanks

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2013-09-24 07:08:12

ArchWA

Are you using HDMI for audio with an AMD graphics card?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Radeon#HDMI_audio

#7 2013-09-24 07:30:00

Amanda S
Website

Besides all info other users provided, don't forget to unmute your channels after a fresh install.
After installing alsa-utils (if you didn't already), type "alsamixer" into a Terminal and unmute (with the M key) the channels "Master" and "PCM".

If it ain't broke, you haven't tweaked it enough...

#8 2013-09-24 15:57:31

hitcoder

Amarildo wrote:

Besides all info other users provided, don't forget to unmute your channels after a fresh install.
After installing alsa-utils (if you didn't already), type "alsamixer" into a Terminal and unmute (with the M key) the channels "Master" and "PCM".

Does it have to be before I install anything else then? Or does the unmuting work any time? (which is what I would've thought.) I also have a few more details:
I am using an Advent Monza N1 notebook computer (laptop)
Probably useless details:
Processor: AMD Dual-Core Athlon ll N330
Memory: 6GB DDR3 RAM (my swap is 6 gigs)
Graphics card: Integrated ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

ArchWA wrote:

I have had a look there, but my output is supposed to come through my "Turtle Beach Earforce X12" headset, and I'm not sure whether that has anything to do with it

brebs wrote:

Useful debugging info:

The URL is here: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=5398c … ba98c3b7e9

ewaller wrote:
hitcoder wrote:

lspci -nn

Thanks

The output said this about my audio device: 00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383] (rev 40)
And here's a link to a pastebin with the rest of the output: http://pastebin.com/PXJM9Rib

thanks in advance, and also sorry for the long post

~HitCoder~

Last edited by hitcoder (2013-09-24 15:58:58)

#9 2013-09-24 17:30:43

hitcoder

Amarildo wrote:

I also noticed, that I do not have a PCM sound channel. Does anyone know why this is?

#10 2013-09-24 19:42:15

hitcoder

Also, I've been trying to run minecraft, but I get some kind of graphics error. How can I test my graphics?
my graphics card is: Integrated ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

#11 2013-09-24 20:12:27

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please don't hijack your own thread.

#12 2013-09-25 14:54:36

hitcoder

jasonwryan wrote:

Please don't hijack your own thread.

Ok, sorry. But is anyone going to help me with my sound? I posted more details yesterday...

hitcoder wrote:
Amarildo wrote:

Does it have to be before I install anything else then? Or does the unmuting work any time? (which is what I would've thought.) I also have a few more details:
I am using an Advent Monza N1 notebook computer (laptop)
Probably useless details:
Processor: AMD Dual-Core Athlon ll N330
Memory: 6GB DDR3 RAM (my swap is 6 gigs)
Graphics card: Integrated ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250

ArchWA wrote:

I have had a look there, but my output is supposed to come through my "Turtle Beach Earforce X12" headset, and I'm not sure whether that has anything to do with it

brebs wrote:

Useful debugging info:

The URL is here: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=5398c … ba98c3b7e9

ewaller wrote:
hitcoder wrote:

lspci -nn

Thanks

The output said this about my audio device: 00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383] (rev 40)
And here's a link to a pastebin with the rest of the output: http://pastebin.com/PXJM9Rib

thanks in advance, and also sorry for the long post

~HitCoder~

#13 2013-09-25 15:39:37

pulce

You could try to have your sound working with only ALSA installed and then add Pulseaudio.

In your place I'd remove Pulseaudio and JACK, then check alsamixer.

#14 2013-09-25 18:46:41

hitcoder

pulce wrote:

You could try to have your sound working with only ALSA installed and then add Pulseaudio.

In your place I'd remove Pulseaudio and JACK, then check alsamixer.

removed those two, and what should I check it for? everything is at maximum apart from beep.
Also, still no sound.

#15 2013-09-25 21:34:37

pulce

Just to be sure, check that everything is unmuted.

Maybe your default sound device is set wrong, you can try the instructions here to change it. ArchWiki - ALSA

#16 2013-09-25 21:47:44

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

ArchWA wrote:

lspci wrote:

01:05.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series]

#17 2013-09-26 07:26:24

hitcoder

Oh, wow thanks, didn't see that Lol.

EDIT:
Ok, I have tried that, and I did try it a while ago, but I still don't understand why it won't work...

EDIT2:
I have 2 audio devices:
  00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
  01:05.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series]

Last edited by hitcoder (2013-09-26 14:58:57)

#18 2013-09-26 22:22:33

pulce

Could you describe exactly what you tried?

#19 2013-09-27 14:52:36

hitcoder

I tried to install HDMI audio, and it doesn't work. I also figred, that it may be linked to my ATI drivers, as my graphics don't seem to be working. I am getting opengl errors.
I also, figured that I have  2 audio devices:
  00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
  01:05.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series]

I am really confused.

#20 2013-09-27 14:59:41

Amanda S
Website

hitcoder wrote:
Amarildo wrote:

I also noticed, that I do not have a PCM sound channel. Does anyone know why this is?

You can unmute at any time, considering you installed alsa-utils.
Some cards are different than others so you don't need PCM, actually. Just unmute one-by-one (with Master already unmuted) to see if there's anything missing.

If it ain't broke, you haven't tweaked it enough...

#21 2013-09-27 15:31:10

ewaller
Administrator

I really want to get back to this thread and try to help.  I hope to have some time this afternoon.

I've lost the bubble; if you are using Pulse, install pavucontrol and run it.   Then, run something that should generate sound.  Even if there is no sound, check that the program shows up in the GUI, and that the  level meters bounce in response to what should be sound.   Here, I am trying to determine if it is a front end problem, or a back end problem.  Also, play with the devices on the various tabs and see if tweaking the setting produces any sound.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#22 2013-09-27 16:39:02

hitcoder

Amarildo wrote:
hitcoder wrote:
Amarildo wrote:

You can unmute at any time, considering you installed alsa-utils.
Some cards are different than others so you don't need PCM, actually. Just unmute one-by-one (with Master already unmuted) to see if there's anything missing.

As I said earlier, I have everything, exept beep unmuted.
I also just tried with beep unmuted, but still nothing.
Even when I make it full blast.

And ewaller, I will try that right now, thanks smile

#23 2013-09-27 16:44:15

hitcoder

ewaller wrote:

I really want to get back to this thread and try to help.  I hope to have some time this afternoon.

I've lost the bubble; if you are using Pulse, install pavucontrol and run it.   Then, run something that should generate sound.  Even if there is no sound, check that the program shows up in the GUI, and that the  level meters bounce in response to what should be sound.   Here, I am trying to determine if it is a front end problem, or a back end problem.  Also, play with the devices on the various tabs and see if tweaking the setting produces any sound.

Ok, tried that, and opened a youtube video.
Nothing showed in the mixer.
I also clicked the white page image, and I selected "all controls" and I got an error message that said "Cannot add view - GUIProfile is invalid."
Is "GUIProfile" anything to do with this? or is that just a dependency for the GUI?

#24 2013-09-27 16:47:46

hitcoder

Wait, I opened the wrong volume control.
When I open "Pavucontrol" I get an error that says "Fatal Error: Unable to connect to PulseAudio: OK"
Do I need to manually enable pulse?

#25 2013-09-27 16:49:47

hitcoder

Ok the output of the command "pulseaudio" is

pulseaudio output wrote:

W: [pulseaudio] main.c: This program is not intended to be run as root (unless --system is specified).
E: [pulseaudio] module-jackdbus-detect.c: Unable to contact D-Bus session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-jackdbus-detect" (argument: "channels=2"): initialization failed.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Module load failed.
W: [pulseaudio] server-lookup.c: Unable to contact D-Bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
W: [pulseaudio] main.c: Unable to contact D-Bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
E: [pulseaudio] bluetooth-util.c: org.bluez.Manager.GetProperties() failed: org.freedesktop.systemd1.LoadFailed: Unit dbus-org.bluez.service failed to load: No such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status dbus-org.bluez.service' for details.

Board footer