You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-24 13:57:02

skoczo

[solved] Can't boot UEFI from USB

Hi,

I have laptop Lenovo G500s and i can't boot arch in UEFI mode.
I create bootable USB using:https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI#Create_UEFI_bootable_USB_from_ISO but after boot menu(after choose arch option) i see only blackscreen.

Secure boot is enabled, boot mode is UEFI.

What i'm doing wrong?

Ps: Can i use normal grub boot instead of UEFI? This is problem to run UEFI hmm

Last edited by skoczo (2013-09-25 16:30:29)

#2 2013-09-24 16:11:04

the.ridikulus.rat

Re: [solved] Can't boot UEFI from USB

skoczo wrote:

Hi,

I have laptop Lenovo G500s and i can't boot arch in UEFI mode.
I create bootable USB using:https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI#Create_UEFI_bootable_USB_from_ISO but after boot menu(after choose arch option) i see only blackscreen.

Secure boot is enabled, boot mode is UEFI.

What i'm doing wrong?

Ps: Can i use normal grub boot instead of UEFI? This is problem to run UEFI hmm

Disable Secure Boot and try again.

#3 2013-09-24 18:57:18

skoczo

It did not help sad

Can i install and use GRUB instead of UEFI?

Last edited by skoczo (2013-09-24 19:05:00)

#4 2013-09-24 19:24:21

srs5694
Website

GRUB is not an alternative to (U)EFI.

EFI and BIOS are two different types of firmware -- software that's built into the motherboard to control the early stages of the boot process. Note that many people use "BIOS" as more-or-less synonymous with "firmware," but IMHO this creates more confusion than clarity, so I use "BIOS" to refer only to the older type of firmware that was nearly universal on x86 and x86-64 computers until about two years ago. Complicating matters, many EFIs include a Compatibility Support Module (CSM) that enables them to boot using older BIOS-mode boot loaders. Thus, EFIs can often boot in either BIOS/CSM/legacy mode or in EFI mode.

GRUB is one of several different boot loaders for Linux. Versions of GRUB exist for both BIOS and for EFI. Other boot loaders include LILO, SYSLINUX, ELILO, and the EFI stub loader. LILO is BIOS-only, ELILO and the EFI stub loader are EFI-only, and SYSLINUX is available for both BIOS and EFI.

What you probably mean to ask is whether you can boot in BIOS mode rather than in EFI mode. The answer is probably "yes," but the details depend on your firmware; you'll need to select a particular boot option or adjust firmware settings to favor BIOS-mode booting over EFI-mode booting. Also, if you're dual-booting with Windows, and if it's booting in EFI mode, installing Linux in BIOS mode will almost certainly create more problems than it solves.

I recommend you describe your symptoms in more detail. In particular, you refer to a "boot menu," but that could be a firmware boot menu, a GRUB boot menu, or conceivably something else. You need to specify what type of boot menu that is. If you don't know, or for that matter if you're only 95% sure, you should take a photo with a digital camera and post it (or a link to it) so that those of us who can recognize such things on sight can tell what it is. Also, tell us whether you intend to dual-boot with Windows (or with any other OS, for that matter), and what, if any partitions exist on your hard disk that you intend to preserve.

Last edited by srs5694 (2013-09-24 19:26:13)

#5 2013-09-25 14:22:17

skoczo

Thanks for explnation. I have windows installed in not uefi mode. I kow that because previously i had Ubuntu and i select boot system in grub.

I put pictures of my configuration and boot menu: http://imageshack.us/g/1/10330482/

So if i good understand i can use Grub. Installtion is like before(bios) or there is difference?

#6 2013-09-25 14:37:16

srs5694
Website

The boot menu you show in your screen shots looks like a gummiboot menu to me. Is this the Arch boot medium? If so, you may need to find another way to boot, since it sounds to me like you're running into the bug discussed at length here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=156670

It's possible to install Arch using another distribution's live CD, so you may want to start with that. I'm not an Arch installation expert, though, so I'll leave it to somebody else to provide further pointers on this score.

During the installation process, you'll have to decide what boot manager and/or boot loader to install. Given the likelihood of your having the bug I suspect, I recommend using GRUB 2, ELILO, or SYSLINUX. (Only the first of those is covered in the Beginner's Guide in the wiki.) Both gummiboot and rEFInd rely on the EFI stub loader, which seems to be where the bug exists.

#7 2013-09-25 14:48:02

skoczo

This is boot menu from arch usb stick in uefi mode.
But i have Windows installed as not uefi so better solution is to use bootloader in bios mode.

#8 2013-09-25 15:53:15

teateawhy
Website

You can install a bootloader in 'bios mode' (Not UEFI), even if you boot the live medium from UEFI. It is probably better to look for an option to disable UEFI in the BIOS, if you do not want UEFI. I know that my lenovo laptop has such option, because i used it before.

#9 2013-09-25 16:29:47

skoczo

Thanks. I instaled grub and everything starting to work.

Board footer