You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-13 07:39:08

AndyRTR
Developer

after "make oldconfig" missing many drivers

I´m building kernel packages this way: I take the pkgbuild from 2.6.14 and change it to version 2.6.15RC5. I copy the config from the old kernel into the folder for the new package. Then I start the build. When the new sources are unpacked  I break it and cd to src/linux2614. There I remove all the config and .config files.

Then I copy the old config file there and run "make oldconfig". Only a few changes to make. But after that the size of the config drops from 49KB to 25kb and when I do a diff I see lots of drivers missing and many are changed from "y" or "m" to "n".

Do I something wrong and what way use our kernel maintainers :?:

AndyRTR

#2 2005-12-13 11:43:54

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: after "make oldconfig" missing many drivers

AndyRTR wrote:

IThere I remove all the config and .config files.

You're probablyremoving something you need - .config is the only one you should mess with. Anyway, there's an easier, more Arch-like way. smile

In the official PKGBUILD, change this line:

yes "" | make config

to

make oldconfig || return 1

When you run makepkg now, it will go automatically into oldconfig, and continue the build when you're finished.

AndyRTR wrote:

what way use our kernel maintainers :?:

The devs don't use oldconfig - why would they?

#3 2006-09-10 21:50:45

pinr

Re: after "make oldconfig" missing many drivers

tomk wrote:

In the official PKGBUILD, change this line:

yes "" | make config

to

make oldconfig || return 1

When you run makepkg now, it will go automatically into oldconfig, and continue the build when you're finished.

enabling make oldconfig in the PKGBUILD file doesn't seem to give me chance to move my old .config file to the source directory.  I achieved the same by ctrl-z to pause makepkg and then copying the my .config flie to the appropriate directory.  Surely there is an easier way to configure with  an old .config and makepkg.  This whole process seems a lot more complicted than using the old /usr/src method.  There it is just a question of
make old_config
make && make modules_install
Coulnd't be easier.

Board footer