You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-04 03:47:38

bolero

arch doesnt powerdown at shutdown

i rebuilt my kernel doing the standard way of using the makepkg configuring it and all.. i rebuilt the kernel for Frame buffer support.. it works perfectly at all no problems EXCEPT.. now when i go to TURN OFF the computer.. it gets to F
"POWER DOWN:
Flushing all IDE devices

i hear a fan turn off then it just sits there.. it does not actualyl turn off... i figure it has somthing to do with my kernel.. i tried recompiling it with ACPI options.. tha tdoesnt work either.. im not sure what to do
(kernel 2.4.22)

-bolero

#2 2003-11-04 04:27:31

sarah31
Website

Re: arch doesnt powerdown at shutdown

welcome to the world of one thing that is handled extremely poorly in the linux kernel. it all goes back to apm or acpi option but getting them selected properly in the kernel so that the computer actually shut down without manual powerdown is still a mystery to me. ever since i moved from libranet 1.9.1 i have never got it right.

not a big deal really as i rarely powerdown.

that's my experience and this issue (i can tell you for certain) is not confined to arch.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-11-04 06:18:12

marin_linuxer
Website

Add:  'apm=power-off' to /etc/lilo.conf.  I.e.

append="apm=power-off"

-- Linux!  Isn't it time?

#4 2003-11-04 21:27:48

bolero

okay so this isnt harmful if linux doesnt "power" down the system .. so its okay to just turn it off with the power switch? because i dont mind doing that

-bolero

#5 2003-11-04 21:58:39

contrasutra

No, its not harmful. I did it for almost 2 years without a problem.

Some Mobo makers have broken APM and ACPI, so it doesnt work well with linux.

ACPI and APM is MUCH better in the 2.6 kernel. So when that finally goes into Arch, your poweroff should work.

Heres a stupid suggestion:

After you enable APM in the kernel, do you run "apmd"? You need that running. It is the APM daemon. It intercepts APM commands and does the proper thing (ie. shut down computer).

Its in pacman. Try using that.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#6 2003-11-04 22:09:38

dp
Website

bolero wrote:

okay so this isnt harmful if linux doesnt "power" down the system .. so its okay to just turn it off with the power switch? because i dont mind doing that

-bolero

yes, it is save to just turn off the power-switch if you have the message "Flushing all IDE devices " and then your ide-devices shown (hda hdc ...)

i have the same problem on a ibm-thinkpad ... only on knoppix it turns effectively the power off ... on every other kernel (2.4.x --- on 2.2.18 (the most stable linux i ever tried) it worked, and on some 2.5.x it works also ... unfortunately not on 2.6testx), the system remains powered on ... this is anoying only in some situation, like you watch a dvd with friends and had a script that runs "init 0" after the film (because we are lazy :-) and then the system do not turn the power of ... you have to stand up and press the power-button for 5sec to turn the machine off ... :-(

would be great to manage this small problem ... i also searched on the knoppix scripts, but was not able to find any big differences to the shutdown-sequences of arch or slackware (the 2 only working ones on this laptop :-)

marin_linuxer: thanx for the append="apm=power-off" ... unfortunately it do not turn the power off ... is  there any more radical way to tell the kernel to go sleeping?

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#7 2003-11-04 23:29:56

bolero

okay thank you very much for your replies.. it makes me feel better about it
but the default kernel tha tcomes with Arch linux power offed my system no problems but my recompiled one doesnt.. then again that was kernel 2.4.21 and i have 2.4.22 now...

#8 2003-11-05 00:16:12

contrasutra

Well, if the original kernel did, check out the DIFFs from the configs, so you can see what changed.

They are in the Arch CVS.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

Board footer