You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-14 10:19:54

postlogic
Website

Suggestions for a newcomer

Heya..

I'm planning to show my girlfriend how to use linux, and set up her laptop. And I don't wanna use Ubuntu or similar for this. So I was just wondering if there are any possibilities to use Arch for this, without having to edit files in /etc manually all the time.

I'm going to use Gnome or XFce4, and some graphical frontend for pacman. Is there anything else you guys could recommend? I'm not too familiar with Gnome, so I don't know how it's graphical utilities work with Arch.

Cheers.

#2 2005-12-14 10:32:31

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: Suggestions for a newcomer

At least you will have to edit some files in /etc just after install (rc.conf, fstab, hosts, pacman.conf (if you want to add testing/unstable/community)) and probably some more, depending on the system you want to make.
You could also set the timezone, but gnome/xfce will probably handle this as well.
[edit] however this editing is one time only big_smile

For suggestion of packages you should go your own way. Don't know what you want/need and it is user specific. You could search the forum, there should be numerous topics about newbie packages I think.

For further questions, please be more specific, as it is not quite clear what you exactly want.

#3 2005-12-14 10:36:35

tomk
Forum Fellow

If you're going to set it up, and she's then going to use it, you'll do whatever file editing is required, and she won't need to know about it - right? I've never felt I had to make changes in /etc "all the time".

I've ever used Gnome, but I can tell you that XFCE4 is very good with Arch, IMO. Gnome might be better, though, if you/she want it to look more like Holes In The Wall With Glass In Them - or HITWWGIT, as I've decided to call it. big_smile

#4 2005-12-14 10:38:56

Cam
Website

Very possible, Arch is not a newbie distro to setup but once you have it all configured and running how you want then you're done. It's extremely stable so updates are simple. The entire repos were updated a little while ago to gcc4 packages and there were very few problems which was nice to see.

So if you're willing to put a little in setting it up for her and installing something like Jacman or gtkpacman for her package management (both in AUR) then she should be fine smile

#5 2005-12-14 11:53:11

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

as I've said many times before, my parents and my sister both use Arch and are happy as can be with it.  It works. I don't even have local access to the systems to do maintenance. I'm sure you'll have local access to your girlfriend's computer. ;-)

Dusty

#6 2005-12-14 17:56:27

postlogic
Website

lol, I see now that these are conclusions I could've made on my own. I'm so used to playing around with whatever I find online, so I rather often have to change some file in /etc.

I know I've got to change files after the install, too.

Oh, and I'm not worrying about Arch not being the most newbie-friendly distro. I tried Slackware for the first time, and didn't have much problems (actually, I found it to be easier than RH 6.1 :-p (ah, those were the days)). She's probably just going to use the machine for simple stuff, anyway, and yes, I'll be right there if she needs some help.

Pretty much the only thing I need to go through thoroughly is how the filesystem works, as well as some minor stuff like killing frozen apps and things like that :-)

#7 2005-12-14 20:04:52

pikass

In KDE, crt+esc for a process table, if want to avoid the cli.

#8 2005-12-14 20:39:02

postlogic
Website

Hey, what's wrong with those FPS-frontends?! *grin*

Nice one, though.

#9 2005-12-14 20:40:34

atze
Website

i don't know if your girlfriend has continous internet or something but you could also setup SSH so you always can fix problems if your not at here place (but being at her place is stil better  lol ).

#10 2005-12-17 22:19:16

arooaroo
Website

Cam wrote:

So if you're willing to put a little in setting it up for her and installing something like Jacman or gtkpacman for her package management (both in AUR) then she should be fine smile

Both have in fact graduated from the AUR to the Community repository. So just add the Community repo (this just requires uncommenting a line from your rc.conf) and you can install these like any other package.

Board footer