You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-06 11:41:55

nyquist

ACPI - Boot, Restart and Shutdown Problems

Hi to all,

I have a problem with my laptop freezing on boot and/or shutdown. When it "freezes" I need to remove the power supply cable and let the laptop work on battery for a few seconds and the boot/shutdown process continues normally. I think that ACPI is the reason, I changed the ACPI kernel parameters and got different results.

ACPI=off :

• Boot: The laptop boots fine, without freezing

• Reboot: The laptop freezes and I need to remove the power cord so the laptop can reboot. The last messages printed on the screen are:
    [99.844462] reboot: Restarting system
    [99.843517] reboot: Machina restart (Machina is the name of my PC)

• Shutdown: Laptop freezes, I have to press the shutdown button to shutdown the laptop. The last messages printed on the screen are:
    [331.369339] reboot: System halted

ACPI=force (or no parameter for acpi):

• Boot: The laptop freezes, I need to remove the power cord so the laptop can boot. The last messages printed on the screen are:
    "Loading Initial ramadas..."

• Reboot: The laptop freezes and I need to remove the power cord so the laptop can reboot. The last messages printed on the screen are:
    [2763.66163] me_me 000:00:16.0: stop
    [2763.664447] reboot: Restarting system
    -when the debug kernel parameter is set, the last message is: [394.778779] ACPI MEMORY OR I/O RESET_REG

• Shutdown: The laptop shutdowns fine, without freezing.

The interesting part is that when I am using ACPI=force (or no ACPI parameters) and enable debug and early_printk=vga the laptop boots fine. It takes longer because it prints a lot of information on the screen but it boots. When I use the debug parameter without early_print=vga the laptop freezes at boot.

The laptop is a HP Probook 4520s. And I can not update the BIOS because I set a BIOS password which I forgot. The problem is that I can not reset the password, not even removing the CMOS battery helps.

Has anybody a solution for this problem. The ideal solution would be that the laptop boots and shutdowns without freezing (the restarting part is not so important). Thanks

Last edited by nyquist (2013-10-06 11:43:25)

#2 2013-10-06 12:28:11

teateawhy
Website

Re: ACPI - Boot, Restart and Shutdown Problems

A quick search showed me that there is a way to reset the BIOS password on hp laptops.
Probably this hp support forum is the right place to ask about this.
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/sea … rd+probook

#3 2013-10-06 12:59:13

nyquist

Re: ACPI - Boot, Restart and Shutdown Problems

teateawhy wrote:

A quick search showed me that there is a way to reset the BIOS password on hp laptops.
Probably this hp support forum is the right place to ask about this.
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/forums/sea … rd+probook

Thanks for the tip, but I allready searched a lot for reseting the password. I also conntacted HP Support and the only option is to buy a new BIOS chip. This post says what the problem is:

"Hi,
Unfortunately,  business machines such as Probooks or Elitebooks have more stringent security than consumer models - they don't produce 'halt codes', the password cannot be derived from the Serial No. and the code is stored in non-volatile memory so removing the RTC cell will not reset the password in this case."

Board footer