You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-14 18:14:27

Multimoon

[Gnome 3.10] Display Applications List/Overview by a command

Is there a way to use a command or a signal to have gnome display the Overview or the Application list? I plan on disabling Gnome's favorites bar and replacing it completely with something like DockbarX, but I would like a way to have DockbarX call up the Application list, eg a command. Is this possible?

It always makes me laugh when people complain and rage over any distro's management ideal, when this is a linux community, and you could always make your own distro and experience the pains yourself.

#2 2013-10-14 18:57:52

Pse

Re: [Gnome 3.10] Display Applications List/Overview by a command

Probably scriptable. Check the gjs docs on Gnome Shell. Perhaps reading the source code of some extension might help. I think the task bar extension sets a button that does this, so you could presumably run a simple gjs script as a command that does what you want.

#3 2013-10-15 07:17:21

phw

The correct JavaScript command would be

const Main = imports.ui.main;
Main.layoutManager.hotCorners[Main.layoutManager.primaryIndex]._toggleOverview();

Unfortunately you cannot run this from the command line with gjs, as it requires the actual shell-context. You can try the above command from looking glass (press ALT+F2 and enter "lg"). But to actually bind it to a hotkey I think you'll need a shell extension.

As a side note: A shell extension to bind arbitrary JS commands to key bindings might actually be pretty useful. If there is not already something like that I'll probably will do something like that if I find the time.

#4 2013-10-15 10:38:18

Multimoon

Hmm. I was trying to keep the shell extensionless, but oh well. I'm not looking to bind anything to a hotkey, just a shell command that can be run to call up the overview. There might be a method to send a signal to the shell, for example I use this method to hide the dash, there might be a similar method to bring up activities.

dbus-send --session --type=method_call --dest=org.gnome.Shell /org/gnome/Shell org.gnome.Shell.Eval string:'Main.overview._dash.actor.hide();'  

It always makes me laugh when people complain and rage over any distro's management ideal, when this is a linux community, and you could always make your own distro and experience the pains yourself.

#5 2013-10-15 11:32:51

phw

Well, you found the solution big_smile Just use the JavaScript I posted above in this command and it'll do what you want:

dbus-send --session --type=method_call --dest=org.gnome.Shell /org/gnome/Shell org.gnome.Shell.Eval string:'Main.layoutManager.hotCorners[Main.layoutManager.primaryIndex]._toggleOverview();'

#6 2013-10-15 14:40:09

Multimoon

phw wrote:

Well, you found the solution big_smile Just use the JavaScript I posted above in this command and it'll do what you want:

dbus-send --session --type=method_call --dest=org.gnome.Shell /org/gnome/Shell org.gnome.Shell.Eval string:'Main.layoutManager.hotCorners[Main.layoutManager.primaryIndex]._toggleOverview();'

Thanks, that works perfectly, alot better than what I had been using, which was having XTE send the super key signal.
Now, could that possibly be modified to show the Application List instead of the Overview? The Application list accessed by pressing the Apps button in the Overview on the Dash, so I don't know if it can just be called directly, or if you would have to open the overview first the simulate a press of that button. Any ideas?

#7 2013-10-19 05:07:47

zpydr

This works:

dbus-send --session --type=method_call --dest=org.gnome.Shell /org/gnome/Shell org.gnome.Shell.Eval string:'Main.overview.show(); if (! Main.overview.viewSelector._showAppsButton.checked) {Main.overview.viewSelector._showAppsButton.checked = true;} else {Main.overview.hide();};'

Board footer