You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-18 04:57:20

jellywerker

reinstalling arch

I screwed up arch and am reinstalling, I backed up my home folder, but is there anything else I need/shoiuld back up to make the next install easier? I have alreayd written down my programs and themes and such, but should I save my pacman and x.org configs or anything?

Also, I am backing up to a hard drive I added, it's 1 ext3 partition on a 20gig drive. How do I keep this intact while I reinstall arch on my master drive? I can't afford for any problems with the data on it, as it is very needed. Unfortunatley that's as much as I can back it up, due to it being 5 gigs and not having a cd or dvd burner or a portable hard drive. I definately intend to go get one after this though  :!:

#2 2005-12-18 05:57:22

Snarkout

Re: reinstalling arch

jellywerker wrote:

I screwed up arch and am reinstalling, I backed up my home folder, but is there anything else I need/shoiuld back up to make the next install easier? I have alreayd written down my programs and themes and such, but should I save my pacman and x.org configs or anything?

I always back up /etc -- it makes things a lot easier.

Also, I am backing up to a hard drive I added, it's 1 ext3 partition on a 20gig drive. How do I keep this intact while I reinstall arch on my master drive? I can't afford for any problems with the data on it, as it is very needed. Unfortunatley that's as much as I can back it up, due to it being 5 gigs and not having a cd or dvd burner or a portable hard drive. I definately intend to go get one after this though  :!:

Assuming you've used rsync or something similar, you theoretically should be cool.  I'd unplug the drive to make sure that nothing gets overwritten though - better safe than sorry.  I'm not going to go all zealot on you, since I hate people who get holier than thou about backups (and I've seen an amazing amount of this sort of zealotry) but that's really not an acceptable backup system for important data.  DVDs do a fairly good job for most desktops machines since a lot of what you have on there will be static, more or less, in any event.  You may add to your music collection over time, but there's not a lot of sense in including 20 GB of mp3s that you've already backed up to DVD in a grandfather, father, son routine.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#3 2005-12-18 06:06:02

jellywerker

rsync? I just cp'ed my home to the new disk. I know it is not an accpetable backup system, but like I said, it is because I am in a pinch between disc writer's atm, and don't have a portable hdd. I'll add /etc to the disc, and unplug it as you said. I don't have too much music, but quite a bit is rather rare, so I backed that up big_smile One can only spend 3 day's getting a song so many times... especially when there are no other sources for it big_smile

#4 2005-12-18 06:15:28

Snarkout

That should work too -- I prefer rsync though since it is has a lot more error correction built in.  In either case, I'd definitely recommend testing a cross section of the data if it's actually important.  My point about mp3s was that there isn't a lot of point in backing the same data up over and over, so for most people, dvds work fine for home boxen.  For an "Enterprise" (man I hate that word) situation, dvds would be a flippin' nightmare.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#5 2005-12-18 16:07:28

jellywerker

ah, ok, well, the data seems fine, I'll do a little random checking.

#6 2005-12-18 17:07:09

jellywerker

ok, now I have a new problem, I disconnected the drive and did a basic install, grub w/ vanilla 2.6 ide kernel, auto partition, base pack's, etc... all I added to grub's menu.lst was "vga=773" and I changed rc.d to dchp. This was the same problem I had before I reinstalled (the reason for reinstalling in the first place hmm) My last install (from the same disc, wombat) worked fine, so I don't think it's my bios or anything.

#7 2005-12-18 17:19:18

colnago

What exactly is the problem?  the posts imply that it is maybe a boot problem.  In that case, Isuggest youlook here:

http://www.archlinux.org/news.php#191

Cheers

#8 2005-12-18 19:15:09

jellywerker

grub doesn't even get to the boot. if it was set up wrong and upgraded to udev it should bot halfway and go into kernel apanic, it doesn't even do that.

#9 2005-12-18 21:16:11

jellywerker

nevermind, got it working.

Board footer