You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-21 14:43:01

dxxvi

[Solved] Realtek RTL8188SU chip - unstable wifi

Hi All,

I have a wireless usb dongle using the above chip. lsusb says:

Belkin Components F7D1101 v1 Basic Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188SU]

The wifi speed is very unstable (at the beginning of downloading each file, the speed is about 300KB/s, then goes down, down and down to 0). I'm sure that it's not because of my router. Does anybody know how to find where my problem is?

Thank you.

Edit: I would like to thank Xyne a lot. My wireless usb dongle doesn't mention about rtl8192 but he asked me to search for it in the forums and then I found this thread. The solution that works for me is changing the channel. I cannot express how I love the Arch community :-)

Last edited by dxxvi (2013-10-21 16:07:57)

#2 2013-10-21 15:08:12

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: [Solved] Realtek RTL8188SU chip - unstable wifi

Search for "rtl8192" on the forum (link at the top left). There are numerous threads concerning the consistently poor performance of Realtek wifi cards. You will find instructions for changing some of the power management options which may reduce the rate of dropped connections, but they will keep dropping and speed will remain inconsistent and embarrassingly slow.

You can check which kernel modules your card is using with

lsmod | grep rtl

If you see rtl8192ce in that list, curse your vendor and head out to buy a new dongle. Of course, if your card is using something other than rtl8192* then maybe tweaking the module options will actually lead to decent performance.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Board footer