You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-23 10:41:39

Clouseau

Dolphin and network shares

Hi,

this is buggin me for sometime and now I decided to post this problem, so maybe someone can help. I have mapped through dolphin an ftp server with movies,music etc. I have added to smplayer.desktop this:

X-KDE-Protocols=ftp,http,https,sftp,smb

Without it smplayer would first copy localy the file on ftp server and that playit. This would stream the file and play. The problem is that FTP server uses plain authentication (local users on FTP server) so when I click the file, smplayer opens but nothing happens. In log says:
[12:06:04:084] BaseGui::checkIfUpgraded
[12:06:05:280] MplayerProcess::parseLine: ''
[12:06:05:280] MplayerProcess::parseLine: '[ftp] command 'PASS no@spam' failed: 530 Login incorrect.'
[12:06:05:280] MplayerProcess::parseLine: ''
[12:06:05:280] MplayerProcess::parseLine: 'Failed to open ftp://john@ftp.myserver.com:21/home/john/nameofmovie.avi.' (I have changed this, for security reasons)

With vlc, the behaviour is the same:
Network interaction failed:
Your password was rejected.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL

I see that vlc and smplayer don't see the mapped ftp network share as local map but are trying to stream the files directly from the server and ofkors there is no prompt for password(although the vlc and smplayer do pickup the user somehow).

Over NAS evertyhing works, probably because NAS doesn't use authentication... I have tried also mount with curlftpfs but he performance is poor.

And I have also tried with samba, doesn't work - in dolphin mapped the same network share with samba(i have samba also on server), tried playing the video file or music,and vlc/smplayer doesn't stream. Although the log entry is a little bit diferrent, my bet is that this doesn't work because ftp and samba use authentication...

Does someone know how to fix this behaviour? I could just use NAS, but I have also windows pc in home network which doesn't like NAS and the version is Pro so doesn't have services for unix as an option which includes Nas client. Basically, I would like to just use ftp and stream music and videos from ftp server...

Or dolphin and kde doesn't support this feature, you can just browse and copy/pase/delete files through dolphin and that is it?

Tnx.

#2 2013-10-29 18:37:54

Clouseau

Re: Dolphin and network shares

Anyone?

#3 2013-10-29 20:26:22

cybertorture

Well dolphin uses kde kio fire protocol witch is very limited in that respect, use eighter smb4k or systemd to mount it at given folder and this will work wink

O' rly ? Ya rly Oo

#4 2013-10-30 11:10:42

Clouseau

Tnx,  I thought so smile

Last edited by Clouseau (2013-10-30 11:11:15)

Board footer