You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-19 04:36:38

neok
Website

How to find a program's dependencies?

Hi all,

I recently set up a web site including some programs that I wrote over the years, using Arch Linux of course wink I received a bug report today from someone who failed to compile the source package, because "configure" failed due to missing shell scripts (install-sh etc).  I use glade to build my GTK apps and it takes care of all necessities so I don't know exactly what the dependencies of my packages are.

Please excuse my ignorance and help me avoid further humiliation in this way!  :oops:

Regards

Neoklis ... Ham Radio Call: 5B4AZ

#2 2005-12-19 05:24:10

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: How to find a program's dependencies?

namcap may be a good choice for finding dependencies. Its in extra. Perhaps your app depends on libglade or gazpacho or something. More details might be in order. :-)

Dusty

#3 2005-12-19 06:13:53

neok
Website

Dusty wrote:

namcap may be a good choice for finding dependencies. Its in extra. Perhaps your app depends on libglade or gazpacho or something. More details might be in order. :-)

Dusty

Hi and thanks for the quick reply! big_smile

I don't think I can use namcap since this is for Arch Linux packages, I only have tar.gz type source packages on my website (www.qsl.net/5b4az) , for any platform. I have little time available these days  so I have not made an attempt to produce Arch packages, my apps are mainly for ham radio and are not beta tested yet, not well enough. For the time being I need to find out what dependencies are needed to do a standard ./configure and make install, Arch linux of course seems to include all but glade in the base installation!

Season's greetings.

Regards

#4 2005-12-19 06:42:38

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

hmm.... I assume these are C apps and you know how to configure make and such. That means that you must have passed some -I and -L and -l crap to gcc in the makefile... dunno what they all mean, as I try to stay away from C, but they all include files and libraries from specific packages. That might tell you what the deps are if you look in /usr/lib and /usr/include for the files they represent and use a pacman -Qo on them or something.

Also look at the output of the error you get from your user, it might be something like "unable to ifind libMylibraryRocks.so in the library path", which is a pretty good indication that Mylibraryrocks needs to be installed. :-)

Dusty

#5 2005-12-19 06:51:58

neok
Website

Dusty wrote:

hmm.... I assume these are C apps and you know how to configure make and such. That means that you must have passed some -I and -L and -l crap to gcc in the makefile... dunno what they all mean, as I try to stay away from C, but they all include files and libraries from specific packages. That might tell you what the deps are if you look in /usr/lib and /usr/include for the files they represent and use a pacman -Qo on them or something.

Also look at the output of the error you get from your user, it might be something like "unable to ifind libMylibraryRocks.so in the library path", which is a pretty good indication that Mylibraryrocks needs to be installed. :-)

Dusty

Thanks, Dusty. I reckon my problem shows what a good job Arch/pacman do, providing all the basics needed for development! big_smile

Regards

Board footer