You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-29 01:37:04

nathanb
Website

[Solved] Text-mode display problems

I have a server which generally runs headless. It doesn't run X at all -- just the CLI.

This server used to have a big clunky CRT that I would plug in whenever I needed to troubleshoot something. This worked fine, but the CRT (though small) weighs as much as a midsize sedan. Recently I got a small secondhand LCD panel to replace it with.

The problem is, when I plug in the LCD and turn it on, it says "The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input timing to 1280x1024 @ 60Hz".

If I reboot the server (which I normally do about once a year, so it's not an optimal solution), the monitor works...until I unplug it. Then when I plug it back in and turn it on, I get the same message again until I reboot.

(I realize that using DVI would probably solve this problem, but the server does not have a DVI port)

How do I make the server output 60Hz video in such a way that it keeps working across unplug/plug cycles? Bonus points will be awarded for answers which don't require a reboot!

Last edited by nathanb (2014-02-25 04:18:47)

#2 2014-02-25 04:18:34

nathanb
Website

Re: [Solved] Text-mode display problems

Solved.

* In /etc/default/grub
**  Set GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset"
**  Add the line GRUB_TERMINAL=console
**  Add the line GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
**  Remove the GRUB_GFXMODE line
* Rerun grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Unfortunately, I get big chunky text at not-great resolution instead of nice framebuffered text at a reasonable resolution. But it works, which is more important,

Board footer