You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-19 23:43:05

EmbraceThePenguin

Interesting Konqueror issue

Well, I never noticed this until I was playing around with Konqueror today, but when you close Konqueror, the window closes, but the process stays running along with all the KIO slaves. Is this normal or a bug?

The reason I am having problems with this is when I make specific window changes to Konqueror and store them, such as transparency or special window "Remember" settings, and close Konqueror and restart it, 8 out of 10 times, it will crash KDE and return me to a login screen. However, if, after making my changes, I kill the Konqueror process and all the KIO slaves, and reopen the window, it is all good.

I imagine this could be construed as a memory leak as well. The more Konqueror windows you open, the more process' are eaten up and not freed.

Any insight to this is helpfull...

Thanks!!!

Joe

#2 2005-12-20 03:56:06

Jacob

Re: Interesting Konqueror issue

EmbraceThePenguin wrote:

Well, I never noticed this until I was playing around with Konqueror today, but when you close Konqueror, the window closes, but the process stays running along with all the KIO slaves. Is this normal or a bug?

The reason I am having problems with this is when I make specific window changes to Konqueror and store them, such as transparency or special window "Remember" settings, and close Konqueror and restart it, 8 out of 10 times, it will crash KDE and return me to a login screen. However, if, after making my changes, I kill the Konqueror process and all the KIO slaves, and reopen the window, it is all good.

I imagine this could be construed as a memory leak as well. The more Konqueror windows you open, the more process' are eaten up and not freed.

Thanks!!!

Joe

Humm try this...

Open up "Control Center" goto "KDE Performance", then change "Minimize Memory Usage" settings.  Mine is on the middle option, but try "Always" then restart X.

Jacob

#3 2005-12-20 04:24:26

EmbraceThePenguin

Jacob wrote:
EmbraceThePenguin wrote:

Thanks!!!

Joe

Humm try this...

Open up "Control Center" goto "KDE Performance", then change "Minimize Memory Usage" settings.  Mine is on the middle option, but try "Always" then restart X.

Jacob

Yeah, I see how that works. It allows you to change settings to preserve memory by allowing only one Konqueror session to load for multiple windows open and visa versa. Really neat idea and that more than likely was causing my problem. However, there is still a bug.

With it set to off, and I open 4 Konqueror windows, I have 4 Konqueror sessions; however, when I close them all, I still have one Konqueror session that will not close.

I will look into filing a bug report (Just not sure how).

Thanks for that interesting tip though. I was not sure what that did until you mentioned it and I played with it some smile

Thanks!!!

#4 2005-12-20 08:33:35

pressh
Developer/TU

That one konqueror session that does not close is probably used to manage the desktop

#5 2005-12-20 09:01:09

kth5
Website

this feature is configurable in the konqueror settings tab for performance. per default it keeps an instance after starting konqueror for the first time.

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#6 2005-12-20 09:14:35

pressh
Developer/TU

so the problem seems not so much to be a problem after all big_smile

#7 2005-12-20 09:17:02

kth5
Website

no really.  wink

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#8 2005-12-20 13:57:23

EmbraceThePenguin

Yeah, apparently, this is by design, however, the design is broken. This is because when you make dynamic window changes to Konqueror and then close the window and re launch Konqueror and either make more changes to the window or initiate the changes you made prior, it crashes KDE right back to the login screen.

However, if, prior to opening up another Konqueror sessions, I killall Konqueror and killall kio_* then I don't have this problem.

So, I will be looking at creating a bug report for this.

Thanks!!!

Joe

Board footer