You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-01 15:49:05

bigboss

[solved]Lenovo Y580 Fn keys

I found 2 articles in wiki on how I should proceed to make Fn buttons work. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ma … o_keycodes

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ex … #Scancodes

The 2 Fn keys I want to make work are the volume up and volume down, their keycodes are 115 and 114.
What I understand from the articles is I need to create a custom hwdb file like the 90-custom-keyboard.hwdb
I've read the /usr/lib/udev/hwdb.d/  and didn't find anything related to Lenovo ideapad and volume up buttons. I only found something related to Thinkpad

keyboard:name:ThinkPad Extra Buttons:dmi:bvn*:bvr*:bd*:svnIBM*:pn*:pvr*
 KEYBOARD_KEY_01=battery                                # Fn+F2
 KEYBOARD_KEY_02=screenlock                             # Fn+F3
 KEYBOARD_KEY_03=sleep                                  # Fn+F4
 KEYBOARD_KEY_04=wlan                                   # Fn+F5
 KEYBOARD_KEY_06=switchvideomode                        # Fn+F7
 KEYBOARD_KEY_07=zoom                                   # Fn+F8 screen exp$
 KEYBOARD_KEY_08=f24                                    # Fn+F9 undock
 KEYBOARD_KEY_0b=suspend                                # Fn+F12
 KEYBOARD_KEY_0f=brightnessup                           # Fn+Home
 KEYBOARD_KEY_10=brightnessdown                         # Fn+End
 KEYBOARD_KEY_11=kbdillumtoggle                         # Fn+PgUp - ThinkL$
 KEYBOARD_KEY_13=zoom                                   # Fn+Space
 KEYBOARD_KEY_14=volumeup
 KEYBOARD_KEY_15=volumedown
 KEYBOARD_KEY_16=mute

I know I ask the question a bit weird but I really didn't understand very well what I am supposed to do to make these keys work. Funny thing is that the brightness fn buttons work by themselves w/o any modification.

Last edited by bigboss (2013-11-04 19:24:43)

#2 2013-11-01 16:38:26

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [solved]Lenovo Y580 Fn keys

Which desktop environment are you using?  (Gnome, KDE, i3, OpenBox, xfce4)
I did not follow your links, but how did you determine those codes?  They look like scan codes, not key codes.

If you use the tool xev, what are the key codes, or even better, the key names?

Then, you get to map the key names to an action.  The various desktop environments have different ways of doing it.  You can also use a tool like setxkbmap

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-11-01 20:38:30

bigboss

I use xfce4
For the 114 115 I used showkey --keycodes

#4 2013-11-01 20:46:09

ewaller
Administrator

Well then, it is easy smile

Open your settings and select the keyboard tool.  Click on the applications shortcut tab.  Click the Add Link. enter the command you want to associate with a key, click okay, then type the key combination you want to associate with that command.  Done.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2013-11-01 22:41:39

bigboss

Love you ! I didn't think it will be that easy, because I've read the arch wiki about key mapping and stuff and they had a lot of strange work to do, I did some digging on the commands you need to use" amixer set Master 5%- " and bind it. A bit offtopic but I want to ask you if I may this :

I got xkb-plugin installed on xfce4 but for some reason I can't add to my panel the "flag plugin" which you use to change between languages. I've set up my keyboard into the settings to have English layout and my mother lang layout. But on Panel Settings there's not any plugin related to changing the layout.

Last edited by bigboss (2013-11-01 22:42:28)

Board footer